On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​> ​
> that is why he
> ​ [Einstein] ​
> would have accepted the many-worlds with both arms, as it restablishes
> determinacy

​But Einstein would *NOT* have embraced Bell's paper with both hands
because it proves that any physical theory that is consistent with

​experiment and is deterministic *MUST* be non-realistic or non-local or
both. ​Hey don't blame me, I don't like it either but that's just the
way things are. I guess the universe is not required to be
congruent
​ with human desires, and neither is the multiverse. ​

​>> ​
>> ​Einstein's EPR paper (which is his closest thing to Bell's paper) came
>> out in 1935 not 1627.​
>

> ​> ​
> Sorry, I meant 1927. Of course. That is, 8 years before EPR.

At the 6th Solvay Conference in 1930 Einstein described a thought
experiment to Niels Bohr (later called Einstein's Box) that he said showed
at least in theory that something could be measured with arbitrary
precision so Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle must be wrong. Einstein
thought of it so naturally it was
​
very
​
clever and Bohr could not
​i
mmediately find
​
an
​
error in it, but the next day after a sleepless night he found the mistake
(ironically involving Einstein’s own General Theory of Relativity).
Einstein admitted Bohr was right and his thought experiment was
worthless.

Einstein's 1935 EPR paper was yet another thought experiment, in it
Einstein assumed that Quantum Mechanics was correct and
​showed that it ​
led to a
​ result he thought​
insane and so
​ ​he concluded
Quantum Mechanics
​ ​
must be incorrect or at least incomplete. But a funny thing happened 50
years later,
​ because of technological advancement
the thought experiment became a real experiment
​;​
Alain Aspect
​ ​
performed it and found that the "insane" result actually happens.

> ​> ​
> Tell me what you mean by "realism". Do you mean "independent of us", or
> "one world" ?

​
Realism means something exists not just independent of us but independent
of consciousness or observation in general, so the MWI is realistic. That's
the one huge advantage that the MWI has
​ over Copenhagen​
, it doesn't need to explain what consciousness is or what constitutes an
observation is (Can a chimp make
​a observation​
, or a dog or a bug or a bacteria?). Einstein was a realist
​,​
he famously asked Bohr if he really thought the moon ceased to exist when
nobody was looking at it.

​As I say the MWI is realistic, and you say the universe always splits for
deterministic reasons, if so then you'd better hope those causes are
non-local because if they aren't then the MWI can never be consistent with
experiment, which would just be another way of saying it's *WRONG.*

 John K Clark​