On 9/09/2015 7:11 pm, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

    On 9/09/2015 4:29 pm, Quentin Anciaux wrote:
    <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>>:

        On 9/8/2015 10:55 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:
        <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>>:

            But he would say the same thing if only one fork of the
            program were executed at each branch.   So whether the
            other branches are executed is not related to observations.

        Hence probability is not linked with true randomness
        But it could be.  Imagining an ignorance model for the
        randomness doesn't make it so.
        but from appereance of randomness from a 1st person POV.

        As for Bruce, could you then be honest, and simply say you
        don't believe in the many world interpretation and don't
        want to explore it... yes we're talking mostly metaphysics
        on this list, if you dislike it, I wonder what you're doing
        here.
        Have I ever said I did believe it.  I wasn't aware you had to
        believe theories in order to discuss them...isn't that
        theology rather than science.

    First I said "Bruce", not "Brent", secondly, it's Bruce who seems
    to dislike "metaphysics" and seems not wanting to discuss it by
    saying it's useless. If you feel concerned by that, it's on you.
    I am with Brent on this. MWI is an interpretation of QM, it is not
    an independently tested theory. One can discuss it, just as one
    might discuss the pros and cons of any interpretation of any
    theory. But one does not have to believe it.

    And when did I ever say that I disliked metaphysics? I might label
    some discussions as metaphysical because they lack physical
    evidential support, but that does not mean that I dislike
    metaphysics. It can be interesting and useful in the right place.
    It becomes problematic when a person's metaphysical stance becomes
    a pseudo-religious dogma, and people start abusing others for
    having different metaphysical predilections. The trouble is that
    much of the metaphysics on this list falls into the "religious
    dogma" category.

Where is the religious dogma ? It's you who's saying it's invalid to use probability under MWI... whereas you didn't show it is... I've seen nobody who's arguing MWI *is true*, only that if it is, then you have this and that consequences... but here, you're denying something (the usage of probability) in the case the MWI is true (meaning it is the correct interpretation of QM theory)... you're saying that you can't use probability (or I didn't get what you were saying) in MWI setting... is that correct or not ?
The issue with probability in the MWI is well-known. When every outcome of a particular interaction is realized, the probability for any particular outcome is, prima facie, unity. This is a recognized problem for MWI. Considerable effort has been devoted to the attempt to derive the Born Rule from the MWI. These attempts have failed. So probability is still a problem for the MWI. There is no problem with probability in the application of QM -- the Born rule appears to be in complete accord with all available data, but the MWI cannot deal with this in a satisfactory manner.

Most of the discussion on this list appears to be on the basis that the MWI is the default position for quantum mechanics. You can always cast this as a conditional -- "given MWI then...", but if the problems with MWI are not acknowledged, and alternative interpretations of QM are treated with scorn and ridicule, then the attachment to MWI comes close to being a religious devotion.

Bruce