On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 5:27:04 AM UTC+11, telmo_menezes wrote:

> [...]
> opposed to something like run length encoding or Fourier transforms.
>

>> If you want to reproduce a system by storing information about it, then a
>> disordered system like the state of the rings of Saturn can typically not
>> be compressed at all, whereas an ordered system contains regularities which
>> allow it to be described by some simplifying rules which can be used to
>> compress the information about the system.
>>

> I wonder if this picture changes if one considers the distributions of
> possible states of the rings of Saturn vs the distribution of all possible
> states of the Earth, within some range.
>

>> A jpg compression of a field of pure colour "noise" will be the same size
>> as the uncompressed file. But we need to be careful even here, because I
>> have my doubts that reality can actually be compressed "losslessly" at all.
>> Even empty space is a froth of virtual particles which contribute to the
>> quantum state of the universe as a whole. You might be able to write off
>> huge tracts of the universe as "uninteresting" (for example you could
>> reduce it to x quadrillion cubic light years of emptiness) but the universe
>> may beg to differ.
>>

> It is true that true randomness is not compressible, but it is also true
> that a program that describes how to generate one of the possible states of
> a cubic light years of emptiness according to their probability of
> occurrence is probably orders of magnitude smaller that the program needed
> to generate one of the possible states of the planet Earth in 2015.
>

>> Anyway, ignoring these quibbles and accepting that the earth is, from a
>> "deep computation" point of view, vastly larger in a certain kind of
>> information space than much of the rest of the universe, I very much doubt
>> it is *unique *in this respect. Richard Dawkins has argued that it might
>> be (in "The Blind Watchmaker" IIRC?), but his argument is flawed.
>> Essentially he says that we don't know the probability of life arising on a
>> given planet, but given that there are *n *planets in the universe, then
>> the probability might be as low as 1/*n*. If it *were* of order 1/*n, *then
>> it is likely there is only one, which would have to be ours, because here
>> we are! However, this begs the question. Given that *n* is an extremely
>> large number (about 10^24), then the *probability of the probability* of
>> life occurring on a given planet just happening to be close to exactly 1/
>> *n* is very, very small.
>>

> Humm... I think there are some problems with this argument. If you allow
> for any type of multiverse, then you don't know how many universes contain
> a planet like Earth, so it becomes impossible to estimate the probability.
> Say you know n, and you know for sure that we are in the only planet with
> life in the universe, but you don't know the number of universes with
> Earths, then p could be anything in ]0, 1/n]. In this case I don't think
> you can apply this sort of probability-of-probability reasoning.

Actually you're just strengthening my argument. The Blind Watchmaker came
out a long time ago - before multiverses had much traction - so Dawkins was
proceeding from the assumption that the observable universe was pretty much
it. If the number of planets in existence is much larger than the ~10^24 in
the observable universe, then the claim that there is only one with life
becomes an even stronger one - and hence one requiring equally strong
supporting evidence. It's asserting that the probability lies in an
*extremely* narrow range. But we have no idea what the probability is, so
such an assertion is unjustified. If there were only ten planets in the
universe, then clearly the claim that ours is the only one with life is a
much weaker claim than if there were a googol of them! Unless I don't
understand your point?