On 2/05/2016 3:31 pm, Jesse Mazer wrote:
On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 1:10 AM, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:

    On 2/05/2016 1:31 pm, Jesse Mazer wrote:
    On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 8:49 PM, Bruce Kellett
    <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:

        On 2/05/2016 7:52 am, Jesse Mazer wrote:
        On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 8:32 PM, Bruce Kellett
        <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au
        <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:

            That is a semantic matter. There is a problem if one
            insists that "non-local" means the propagation of a real
            physical influence (particle of wave) faster-than-light.
            But "non-locality" in standard quantum usage means the
            above -- the entangled state acts as a single physical
            unit even when its components are widely separated.

        I agree it's a semantic matter, but your description of the
        "standard quantum usage" doesn't seem to be accurate. Among
        physicists, the standard understanding of "local" and
        "non-local" in the context of Bell's theorem and relativity
        is the one I cited earlier--a theory is "local" if and only
        if the function that gives you the value of local variables
        at any given point P in spacetime (or gives the best
        possible probabilistic prediction about their values, in the
        case of a non-deterministic theory) only requires as input
        the values of local variables at other points that lie
        within P's past light cone, whereas a "non-local" theory
        would be one where the function requires knowledge of
        variables at a spacelike separation from P to generate the
        best possible prediction. As I mentioned, I think this is
        explained most clearly in Bell's paper "La nouvelle cuisine"
        which you can find in the collection "Speakable and
        Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics", and you can also find it
        discussed in other sources, http://arxiv.org/abs/0707.0401
        for example. As for "acts as a single physical unit", that
        seems like a decidedly non-mathematical definition which
        physicists would steer clear of, unless you can provide a
        mathematical formalization or what you mean, or cite a
        mainstream source that provides one.

        I don't see any paper of the title you mention in my copy of
        "Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics", could you
        give a page number reference?

    It's on p. 232 of the 2nd edition, chapter 24.

    I have now looked at the paper by Norsen. It seems that the more
    detailed definiton of locality does little more than remove the
    notion of "superdeterminism" from the equation -- the idea that
    things in the common past of A and B could conspire to give rise
    to the correlations.

The paper by Norsen at http://arxiv.org/pdf/0707.0401v3.pdf does mention the issue of ruling out superdeterminism, but that wasn't what I was referring to when I talked about the definition in La nouvelle cuisine which is repeated in Norsen's paper. Rather I was talking about equation 1 on page 4 whose physical meaning in terms of past light cones is show in Fig. 2 on the same page. Referring to the diagram and equation, b1 refers to the physical state of local variables in region 1, b2 refers to the physical state of local variables in another region 2 at a spacelike separation of 1, and B3 refers to some sufficiently detailed set of local states in region 3 which is in the past light cone of region 1, but entirely outside the past light cone of region 2. The idea is that by picking a sufficiently detailed set for your B3, you can have it so that once you know B3, additional knowledge of b2 is irrelevant to your prediction of what's going on in b1, i.e. you don't need anything outside the past light cone of 1 to make the best possible physical prediction about the physical facts in that region. So, nothing to do with superdeterminism, just a more formal statement of the idea I described earlier about the function for making predictions about a given region depending only on facts in the past light cone of that region.

And that is all I have ever claimed about locality -- that is what is built into the formal quantum description of the state. The more elaborate definition does not add anything substantive - it merely rules out some alternative formulations of the state that go beyond standard QM.

Bruce