On 09-05-2016 07:43, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 9/05/2016 3:17 pm, smitra wrote:
On 09-05-2016 03:40, Bruce Kellett wrote:

The idea that Alice splits further into different branches according
to Bob's results only after their respective light cones overlap is an
interpretive gloss on the theory (which, as already pointed out, you
do not apply consistently) -- it is not there in the mathematics.
Alice and Bob are in the same world even at spacelike separations.
This must be the case, or else my feet would be in a different world
from my head at every single instant of time. So Bob and Alice
separate in the same world. When they perform their measurements there
is a Bob in each world created by Alice's results, and an Alice in
every world created by Bob's results. The fact that neither Alice nor
Bob do not know the other's result does not mean that there are no
such results. Are there separate worlds in which these results are
combined? It doesn't really matter, because anything that can be seen
when information is exchanged is already set:  the exchange of
information is like opening the box -- the cat is already either alive
or dead, opening the box does not change that. So Alice and Bob
talking to each other does not change anything either. The results are
already present in the universal wave function -- talk of splitting
into worlds is irrelevant to the universal wave function and the
unitary dynamics. So the fact that A does not know B's results at some
time is irrelevant -- the results are already there. The question of
who knows what is not a relevant question for the universal wave
function. And the universal wave function takes account of the unity
of the singlet state and the reality of non-local effects.

And this is the core of the disagreement, you say that the results are already there, but in the MWI this is false.

What? Are you claiming the the universal wave function -- which
contains all possible branches corresponding to all possible outcomes
-- does not contain the results? I think what you mean is that you do
not know the result (which branch you are on) until you open the box.
But that does not mean that you are not on one branch or the other.
The death of the cat (if it be so) can be in your past light cone, so
the splitting of worlds occasioned by that death has already split
you. Your knowledge of this is strictly irrelevant. You can be in a
particular world without being aware of it. In Bruno's famous person
duplication experiments, you are in either Washington or Moscow before
you are necessarily ever aware of which city it is. You make personal
knowledge of outcomes far too prominent in your theory; things can
actually happen without your being aware of them!

While your body does split up, if you don't have the "which branch" information then you are in both branches until that time that you do have this information. If we consider ourselves as programs run by our brains and consider some well defined computational state, look at all the branches where that particular computational state is implemented, then you'll find that it's present in both situations where the information about the cat is different.

Saibal