On 10 Jan 2017, at 04:12, John Clark wrote:

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 1:57 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​>>A definition can't make something exist!​

​> ​Wrong.

​Are you being serious?​

​> ​Coiunterexample. I define a glodlyrapicul by a cat. That makes the glodlyrapiculs existing

​And ​I define a glodlyrapicul by a ​dragon. Did my definition cause anything to come into existence?

That one no. But that does no make my counter-example invalid. Nobody said that all definition makes things existing.

​> ​I cannot explain you the number without using our physical environment, but that does not mean that the notion of number depends on the existence of that physical environment.

​Never mind something as trivial as numbers, explain to me how the notion of notion can exist without the physical environment! ​

I guess you mean the notion of motion?

Are you OK with the notion of block-universe in general relativity. Or are you a believer/assumer of a primitive time?

We don't need a physical environment, we need only stable dreams of such environment, and this reduces the problem to the chapter 4 of the book of Davis, that is the proof that all computations are implemented, in a "block-like" manner, in a tiny part of the arithmetical reality.

​>​>>​ ​and are realized in all models of Robinson Arithmetic.

​​>> ​And dragons are realized in all the Harry Potter books,

​> ​Now in the sense of computer science, which is relevant here.

​Why Not? They seem equally relevant to me. Both books are made of atoms that obey the laws of physics, and neither of those arrangements of atoms are organized is a way that enables them to perform calculations.

Yes, but books does not compute. Only universal numbers, when implemented (in arithmetic, in physics, wherever..), can be said to compute.

​>> ​but none of them can burn my finger​.​

​> ​If you are emulated at the right level in a finger burning situation, you will feel the pain,

​I agree, maybe we're all living in a computer ​simulation but if we are it's a *computer* simulation, and computers are made of matter.

Physical computer are made of atoms only. But with computationalism, Physical computer do not exist primitively, they arise as common pattern in the mind of non physical computer.

The existence of primitive physicalness is a metaphysical assumption. It is not part of physics.

​>> ​​You can make any definition you want but if that's what you call "computation" then I don't see why anybody would be interested in it.

​> ​Many people are interested. It is a branch of math, and it makes us able to show that some problem are not algorithmically solvable.

​Massive brainpower was not needed to conclude that no problem can be solved without brains, but it was needed to discover ​some problems can't be solved even with brains.

The point is that you conclude that a problem is not solvable by a computation, we need a mathematical definition of computation. Church proposed the first, and since them many definition have been given, and they have been shown to be equivalent. Church's thesis make them all equivalent, even those not yet invented.

And brain and machine might solve them, but then in a non mechanical way, with heuristic, and without guaranties.

​>> ​If you start with Robinson arithmetic rather than a physical device you'll end up with nothing, not even the null set.

​> ​How could that be possible? We interrogate the machine *in* arithmetic.

​You interrogate the machine "in" physics because it's made of ​ physical stuff.

But that is not relevant for the basic theory. You could say that the notion of group requires the notion of blackboard or paper, but that would be of course a confusion of level. same here.

All what I say is that if digital mechanism is true, then the following theory(*) has to be able to explain entirely the illusion of stable persistent physical laws, and that indeed we get already quantum logic, reversibility, linearity, the many-worlds aspect of reality, etc.

(*) the theory is computationalism (the invariance of consciousness for a recursive permutation, to be short) at the meta-level, + classical first order logic +

0 ≠ (x + 1)
((x + 1) = (y + 1))  -> x = y
x = 0 v Ey(x = y + 1)
x + 0 = x
x + (y + 1) = (x + y) + 1
x * 0 = 0
x * (y + 1) = (x * y) + x

See any textbook to get a definitipn of universal number in that theory, using no more than the logical symbiols and +, *, 0, s. (and parentheses). I could explain here, if you want, but of course it could be a bit long.

​> ​You are telling me that 3 does not divide 6 when nobody do the physical computation,

I'm telling you if there were not 6 physical things in the entire universe or even 3 then "divide 6 by 3" would be meaningless because there would be no one to give it a meaning.

But that contradict your realism in arithmetic, and means that you have change your mind since our last conversation. The fact that 3 divides 6 is true independently of the presence of humans or aliens to get this. The divisibility of natural numbers has nothing to do with the existence of more complex number capable of understanding division. indeed, we use the elementary arithmetical notions to define the physical objects, and then comp makes the primary physical object into phlogiston.

Or put it another way, it would make no difference to ANYTHING if 6/3=2 was true or not.

It depends of the theory in which those statemnt are made. If you say that in any extension of robinson arithmetic, it makes the theory inconsistent, and so it makes me and you becoming the pope (if you know Russels proof that he is the pope in case 0 = 1). That would changes things.

​> ​even physicist can no more use arithmetic without a justification in physics that 3 divides 6. But that does not exist,

​Yes it does. It was discovered empirically that three apples and three apples produces the same result as two apples and two apples and two apples, ​and "6" is as good a name for that sort of thing as any.

That would make physics circular.

​​>> ​Talk is cheap. We can talk about Faster That Light Spaceships, Star Trek does it all the time, but we can't build one and that's why it's called "fiction".

​> ​Except that star strek is fiction.

​It's fiction because faster than light spaceships ​doesn't correspond with physical reality.

​> ​Arithmetical truth​ [...]

​But Arithmetic does correspond with ​physical reality and that's why it's nonfiction written in the language of mathematics.

But you agree that 10^(10^1000000000) is a multiple of 10, despite such number are not realizable. You just assert the physicalist dogma, but I could ask you to give me just one argument in favor of a primary physical reality. It is a religious/metaphysical hypothesis. maybe true, but then digital mechanism is false (by the argument given).

​​>> ​Nothing can be explained without matter ​and the laws of physics because there would be nothing doing the explaining and nothing doing the understanding.

​> ​How do you know?

​From ​Induction,

Do you mean inductive inference or mathematical induction.

something​ even more important than deduction and something Robinson​ ​arithmetic doesn't have.​ ​

But Robison Arithmetic is the Universal Dovetailer, not the observer interviewed *in* Robinson arithmetic, which believes also in mathematical induction, like Peano Arithmetic.

There are countless examples of matter explaining things and countless examples of matter understanding things, but there are no examples and no evidence of anything else doing either.

I have searched a use of *primary* matter all my life. I have found only one: by the catholic to argue that bread is the body of Jesus. In the physics literature, primary matter is not used.

​> ​then in your theory computationalism is false.

​Maybe in Bruno-speak, but you are the only speaker of that language.

Not at all. My way of talking is quite standard, in may field crossed. It is not a question of language anyway. If primary matter exists, the physical appearance cannot be used to assert the existence of primary matter. That follows from a reasoning, and we know where and how you stopped, if this needs to be recalled.

Everybody else means something different by words like "God" or " computationalism". I just typed Computationalism​ into Google and this is what I got:

​"​Computationalism is the view that intelligent behavior is causally explained by computations performed by the agent's cognitive system (or brain).​"

The assumption I used implies this one, but is weaker (making the consequences valid for the definition above).

That definition works for me.

I also asked Google to define "God":​

​"The creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.​ ​A superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes​.​"

​And that definition works for me too.​

Same remarks. You will find many other definition, and I use the one by the neoplatonists, whioch is the most general. But I avoid the term god, unless I reply to a post with that term.

​> ​No theories in math assumes anything in physics.

​Mathematicians can't derive the fundamental laws of physics

Why? It that a dogma? Well, that is possible, but then you will not survive with an artificial brain. That's the point.

and physics can't do so either, but they don't need to because they can observe them. ​

​> ​Who care?

1.2 Billion Catholics care and the​y​ care very much! When they use the word "God" they mean something RADICALLY different from what you mean when you use the ​same ​word​,​ ​and that ​makes​ communication almost impossible​, and yet you insist on using that ​same damn ​word. And people wonder why philosophy gets so muddled.

​> ​Right answer, the catholics care. So you are catholic?​ or you care, for some reason to what the catholic thinks.

​Of course I care what Catholics think, they outnumber me 1.2 billion to one and they have been using the word "God" in a certain way for 2000 years so I'd say they have ownership of it, and it would be foolish and cause endless confusion if I started calling something completely unrelated, like my can opener, "God". The Catholic God, Bruno's God, and my can opener, are all equally distant from each other in concept space, so they should't have the same name! ​

You confess base your thinking on what the majority says, but science does not work that way. It is not a democracy, and we should accept only what we prove, or assume.

Bruno

​> ​the modern catholic have no problem writing paper on the god of Plato,

​To hell with modern Catholics to hell with God to hell with Plato ​to hell with Aristotle and above all to hell with all the idiot ancient Greeks that were so ignorant they didn't even know where the sun went at night.

​John K Clark​