On 07 Feb 2017, at 12:59, Alberto G. Corona wrote:

Lol. There is no way to avoid the absolute since nothing can be based on nothing,.

In this case you reify nothing, which is purely negative, as absence of anything,, and convert it to "something". And this something that you implicitly postulate is an absolute ethical principle of humility, which becomes your highest value with which measure everyone else so it becomes a criteria for absolute ranking.

It is obvious that this humility is not humble although it is not arrogant of course. That kind of humility can be summarized in this phrase refering to false humble christians: "The progressive Christian know that he is better than others because he believe that he is not better than others".

Why we do not admit that everyone need to feel in a better path than others? I do. I'ts human.It is the reason why We do things. If not, we would be completely redundant.

I can follow you on this.

Concerning the adequacy of the agnostic stanpoint for acquiring knowledge and, in general, for life, I have to say that it is not very good. At least the atheists have firm beliefs, which are a ground upon which they develop a program for action (with disastrous consequences, by the way) But in the meantime they have been very active in achieving things. At least in the euphoric phase of his bipolar syndrome. But agnostics have no plan, so, as Aristotle said, reason without passion does move nothing, so agnostics... are moved to very few achievements, they follow with mild critics and disdain what is dominant.

Since atheists allows agnostic in their rank, I distinguish two types of atheists: the gnostic one, and the agnostic one. The gnostic have firm belief indeed: they believe:

1) in Primary Matter (often called Aristotle's second God, which is actually its main belief/metaphysical-assumption).

2) in the same conception of God than the christian-jews-muslims (the abrahamic god), even if it is used just to claim they don't believe in it (but they seems to ignore the many treatise in theology of the neoplatonist, like Proclus' treatise entitled "theology").

I am not sure that agnostic have no plan. There are many different reasons to be agnostic. We can be agnostic on something because we are searching more information before trying to conclude on some definite belief, like we can be agnostic by lack of interest, or lack of good definition, or just methodologically, to avoid building an answer before the question is clarified. The scientific attitude is agnostic by construction, both on the God = Primary Matter and the personal god, or some non personal God, like TAO or MATTER/FIELDS/TIME. We present our temporary beliefs in the form of theory/axioms/postulate and search the consequences, hoping to find empirically (or logically) refutable one, so that we can improve or change the theory. In this way, we can learn something.

On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 11:39:35 AM UTC+1, telmo_menezes wrote:
On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 9:21 PM, Brent Meeker <meek...@verizon.net> wrote:

> And so do you think of yourself as agnostic about the value of fascism?...or
> communism?

Yes, I reject simplistic views of History where one side is 100% good
and the other 100% evil. Absolute belief leads to terrible ideas, such
as trying to bomb countries into democracy.

That goes for converting folks to humility and agnosticism too, which basically implies "humility/agnosticism in terms of my fuzzily defined reality bubble". That's both simplistic and unclear. PGC

Alberto.