On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 6:02 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​> ​
> You just evade the question. I said, in Helsinki, I know (assuming
> mechanism of course)

​What does mechanism have to do with it?​

> ​> ​
> I will push on a button, and find myself alive in ONE city, living an
> asymmetrical condition.

​Doesn't the fact that even *AFTER* "I"​

​push the button "I" *STILL* don't know what *ONE* city "I" ended up in
make you suspect that maybe just maybe the way personal pronouns are used
needs to be changed in a world that contains "I" duplicating machines?​

> ​> ​
> don't forget that the question is on the future personal experience,

​That exactly is the problem, in a world with "I" duplicating machines
there is no such thing as *THE *
future personal experience
​, there is only* A*
future personal experience
​.​

​> ​
> So you say that the two guys have the personal experience of seeing the
> two cities?
> ​ ​
> That needs a peculiar telepathic ability.

​
Two guys personally experiencing two cities need to be telepathic? Well you
and I are two guys and we're personally experiencing
​
two
​
different cities right now, so I guess we're telepathic.

> ​>>​
>>  what one and only one city did it turn out to be, Moscow or Washington?
>> If you can't answer that simple question with one word then it's not a
>> experiment.
>

> ​> ​
> We cannot answer to youyr question, but it is still an experiment once we
> agree to listen to what each copy will say. deciding that this is not an
> experiement is equivalent with denying the first person experience of the
> subject.

​Quite true, I do indeed deny that someone who is about to be duplicated
will have a thing called "*THE*
first person experience
​"​
​ in the future.​ There is nothing profound here, i
t's a trivial and obvious fact that "you" can not name the one and only one
city that "you" will see in the future after "you" walk into a "you"
duplicating machine because a city that fits that description
*​DOES NOT EXIST*.
​

​
>> ​>> ​
>> The trouble is the one and only one city that correctly answers the
>> question can NOT be verified EVER,
>
> ​> ​
> A kid can do the verification.

​Then it's important that we find that kid so he can tell us if the one and
only one city turned out to be Moscow ​
​or Washington.​

​> ​
> The guy in Moscow has no mean to see what the guy in Washington is seeing.
> And vice-versa.

​True, and that is why the Moscow man is not the Washington man, but that
is irrelevant because
both are the Helsinki man; so yesterday my statement "the Helsinki man will
see both cities" turned out to be true.   ​

> ​> ​
> the two first person experience are incompatible.

​Yes, and that is why today they are not each other even though yesterday
they were both the Helsinki man. ​

> ​> ​
> The guy in Moscow can say "I am in both city". But he cannot say "I feel
> from the first person experience that I am in both city"

​So what? You've only talked with one Helsinki man​, but there is another.

​>>​
>> What have you learned after the experiment that you didn't know before?
>

> The name of the city behind the reconstitution box door.

​Well don't keep us in suspense, ​now that you've opened the door what was
the name of the city that "you" saw, was it Moscow or Washington?

​>> ​
>> You can't predict a coin flip, it could come out heads or tails, but
>> *AFTER* the flip is over it's easy to tell which
>> ​one ​
>> turned out to be correct. But even *AFTER* your "experiment" is over
>> nobody can tell which answer turned out to be correct.
>

> ​> ​
> Nobody?

​Nobody.
​

> ​> ​
> What about each reconstituted person?

​What about them?​

> ​> ​
> Again, you eliminate the experience lived by both copies,

​I did noting of the sort. Both say they are the Helsinki man and I believe
both because both remember being the Helsinki man, and one says he is
experiencing Moscow and the other ​says he is experiencing Washington and I
believe both of them about that too. So if the man in Helsinki ended up
seeing both cities then if that man asked yesterday "what cities will I
experience tomorrow" the correct answer is obvious.

​

And by the way, I still don't understand why we keep talking about
predictions when predictions, neither correct ones nor incorrect ones, have
anything to do with the subjective feeling of self.

  John K Clark​