On 1 Jun 2017 14:01, "Bruno Marchal" <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 01 Jun 2017, at 12:44, David Nyman wrote:

On 1 Jun 2017 10:02 a.m., "Bruno Marchal" <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 31 May 2017, at 19:14, David Nyman wrote:

On 31 May 2017 at 17:00, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 30 May 2017, at 16:44, David Nyman wrote:
>
> On 30 May 2017 at 13:05, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>

>> On 29 May 2017, at 13:42, David Nyman wrote: <snip>
>>

>> On 29 May 2017 at 05:27, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> ​Yes, so the explanatory priority is now that of "​we are to extract"
>> over "the physics of which they are experiences". Or in short, subject
>> precedes object in the explanation. That's the reversal.
>>

>> Maybe it is here that I suspect that we might still differ a little bit,
>> or not in case you mean "physical object" for "object".
>>

> ​Yes, That's what I mean. Sometimes perhaps I can be a little too short.
> But on the other hand at times when I ramble on in an attempt to avoid
> ambiguities Brent tells me I'm being long-winded :(
> ​
>
>> I would say that subjects precedes physical objects
>> ​,
>> as physics becomes a first person plural notion.
>>

> ​Exactly
>

>> But with computationalism, to just gives sense to that word, we have to
>> admit that the number objects still precedes (in some logical sense) the
>> subject, which arises from the infinitely many computations which supports
>> its self-referential modes.
>>

> ​Well I guess the way I'd put it is that their abstract or ontological
> component is already 'there' (i.e. assumed) in a certain objective sense,
> but their 'observable' or epistemological component can only be realised
> (i.e. made true) in terms of a point-of-view.
>

> OK. Yet, having bet on a theory making us (or the correct part of us)
> aware that the first point of view is local, and so see only a part of a
> bigger truth, which is the "ultimate" 0p, which mechanism, and our
> sanity/soundness, which we cannot even express, still less justify, but we
> can "meta-prove" for the correct machine, that such an 0p can be reduced to
> first the arithmetical truth, and secondly (blaspheming for two seconds)
> the sigma arithmetical truth (the UD, The UM, the sigma_1 complete set.
>
> That is why we can take RA for the ontology. The PA induction axioms are
> put in the number epistemology already. RA can prove the existence of PA,
> but "for RA" PA is already dreaming.
>
> It is an open problem (to me at least) if this is mandatory or not. Nelson
> believes (but seems unique in believing this) that the induction axioms are
> "viciously" circular,

​Is this in any way related to Popper's point about induction in fact
always being deduction on the basis of some theory (even if only
implicitly)? IIRC his rationale was that even the selection of 'data' on
which to base the purported inductive generalisation was itself
theory-dependent. Hence the claim should really be something more like "on
the basis of a certain theory, let us select these features as data, which
then might lead us to the following conclusion...etc.".

I agree that most (but not all) "induction" (in the sense of inductive
inference) requires explicit "induction" axioms, in the Peano sense. But
Peano induction axiom will not usually been seen as inductive inference. I
agree that inductive inference is theory dependent, and it requires not
just PA-like induction, but also the general assumption, usually at the
metalevel that there is something to be observed (the <>t meta-assumption).

​

> making PA inconsistent. I doubt this a lot, but with mechanism I think we
> can argue that we can't really prove the consistency of PA, despite most
> mathematicians believe in the consistency of much more (in the sense of
> proving abilities) powerful theory than PA, like ZF, Category, theory,
> group theory, etc.).
>

>> We can place the natural object in the mind of the God-subject, but that
>> would be a bit ad hoc,
>>

> ​Possibly, but in a monopsychic sense they *are* all in the mind of the
> inner God-subject.
>

> How? in Bp & p, the Bp part restricts  the truth. The "Bp" is like a
> finite window through which God/Truth, "p", look at itself. The inner god
> is the outer God looking at itself through the Bp window.

​Yes, that's what I meant. Perhaps it's just vocabulary. I assumed
(wrongly?) that by natural object you meant physical or perceptual object.​

I guess that I meant "natural *number* object.

> I think that what makes you adding the whole truth in the provable is due
> to the fact that the "Divine Intellect"'s view coincides with the view of
> the soul-instantiated: that is: the fact that S4Grz = S4Grz*. The soul does
> not split along G/G*. But that is the "natural", "unavoidable" solipsism of
> the first person subject.

​Yes indeed. That's what makes it compatible (at least heuristically) with
monopsychism.

OK. God's solipism. To be sure, the "(outer) God" of mechanism, V, is not
the biggest "God".  Like in Plotinus, and perhaps arguably already in
Plato's Parmenides, God is overwhelmed by the "Noùs". Quantified G*, qG*,
is PI-complete in the V oracle. So, even if you have V at your disposition,
you need to complete an infinite task, with infinitely "prayers" to V, to
decide a general question (having quantifiers) on qG*. The god of mechanism
is less rich and less complete than the "world of ideas" of mechanism. That
is perhaps why Plato missed that God, and why Plotinus added it.

A simple, if rough, analogy might be the relation between the mechanism of
a DVD player and the spectrum of possible movies it is capable of
instantiating (assuming also an infinite collection of discs and a suitable
extrinsic interpretation). The DVD Library of Babel, if you like. It would
be impossible in principle to predict the movies as experienced purely on
the basis of the mechanism involved in the encoding /decoding process.
Generalising to include the implicit observer, truth is then consequent on
a reflexive or intrinsic notion of self-interpretation. So it is, in an
epistemological sense, emergent from mechanism, though not in any objective
sense mechanistically predictable. ISTM that these general principles lie
at the core of the notions of origins and creativity necessarily implicit
in the 'mechanistic TOE'.

I think so, but that is why at some point we have to rely to the theory of
self-reference of the universal numbers. It is not a coincidence why post
used the term "creative".
Yet this needs to assume some truth, as independent of all observers,
machines, numbers (except God, but God is arithmetical truth, in this
context, and neither "God", nor the term "truth" names it genuinely).

Whatever it might be named it cannot coherently be doubted if mechanism is
to make sense, as indeed you say below. If it had a name it might be the
"indubitable" .

David

Now, even that truth is partially accessible only to the first person.
That's why God invented it, to talk poetically, as such truth are supposed
to be absolute for mechanism making sense.

Bruno

David

​

> So, I would say that they are in the mind of the outer God

​In what sense is
 the outer-God conceptualised as possessing a 'mind'?
​ Do you simply mean perception in some generic sense before symmetry is
broken?​

The outer God is the Truth "predicate" (the one that the machine cannot
define unless she invoke a bigger God). You can see it as a person by
identifying the outer-God with a putative mind knowing, or believing, all
(and only all) arithmetical truth.
My habit is to keep "perception" for the physical realm. I prefer to say
that I do not perceive a number, but that I only conceive it, or believe in
it, even when I close my eyes. The reason is that I want to avoid the idea
that number are physical objects. Eventually, there will be no physical
object at all, but physical sensations, explained by (infinities) of number
relations.

OK

> , and the inner God is the outer God becoming amnesic, and "lost" in the
> belief that he is PA, or that number on the hard disk of the doctor.

​Yes, as above.
​

> On this, the math are difficult, and I assume fully the "galois
> connection", with consciousness side with the semantic, that is the G, <>t,
> by the completeness theorem. Eventually, and to be short, consciousness
> sides with p, making Bp, the brain/machine/theory/formula restricting
> consciousness.
> The problem with this is that it makes a butterfly more conscious than a
> human. Little mind have more possibilities, and a far bigger set of
> consistent extensions, and consciousness reflects that spectrum ignorance.
> I don't know, I find that weird.

​Well, in a monopsychic sense the 'roots' of consciousness, in the generic,
virgin machine, are perhaps very deep. So if the brain/body somehow
'filters' perception​ then perhaps, the less constriction, the less
consequent impedance, at least to some limit. The doors of perception
perhaps open a bit wider. I don't know either, but it might make some sort
of sense.

Less restriction? I guess so. Plotinus want the ONE to be simple. I can
think of it as being a person, or a thing. It might defines more restricted
notion of God, which could make more sense for people having had a
religious education. There is room for debate, but in the mind-body
problem, those consideration are irrelevant, as we use only the points of
view available by the machine, and this requires always the "[]p (& #)".

I should perhaps insist that I identify a person with its set of beliefs.
Then you can associate a person to any subset of V, including V. But a
machine is characterized by the fact that its subset of belief (or better:
believable propositions) is (locally) RE.

> That's one of the reasons I find that particular heuristic intuitively
> helpful. I guess it's my version of the Wittgenstein ladder. But don't
> worry, I can always let go of it. I hope.
> ​
>
>> even if for the numbers+addition+multiplication, we can only explains
>> them by "God made them", in the sense that we cannot recover them by
>> assuming less than anything Turing equivalent with them.
>>

> ​I can't think of anything less, offhand.
> ​
>
>> Sorry for splitting the airs, I guess,
>>

> ​Split away! It's hairs, by the way :)​
>

> Now, *you* are splitting the hairs.
>
> Let me really split one hair. What could that give? I tell you that it
> gives h and airs. h is the indivisible horse!

​Oy veh :(

I was just using Occam :)

Don't cut yourself!

Oops ...