> On Jan 3, 2018, at 9:02 PM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> On 1/3/2018 5:30 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> What distinguishes a conscious computation within the class of all
>>> computations? After all, not all computations are conscious.
>>
>> Universality seems enough. But just universality gives rise only to a highly
>> non standard, dissociative, form of consciousness. It might correspond to
>> the cosmic consciousness alluded by people living highly altered state of
>> consciousness.
>>
>> You need Löbianity to get *self-consciousness*, or reflexive consciousness.
>> A machine is Löbian when its universality is knowable by it. Equivalently,
>> when the machine is universal and can prove its own "Löb's formula". []([]p
>> -> p) -> []p. Note that the second incompleteness theorem is the particular
>> case with p = f (f = "0≠1").
>
> But people are aware and self-aware and have been for millenia before Löb.

Absolutely.

Like bacteria are Turing Universal well before Turing, and its DNA is made of
A, T, C and G well before Watson. Like the Big Bang was a Big Bang well before
Lemaître, and the far away galaxies were there well before Hubble … I guess we
agree on this.

> They are not even universal

They are, even at different levels. A bacteria is Turing universal. Indeed I
discovered that notion more or less explicitly when studying bacteria and
molecular biology (but of course I did not get Church’s thesis).

> and all but a handful never even heard of the concept.  So why should the
> mere idealized possibility (assuming unlimited time and memory) be the
> requirement.  It seems obvious to me that humans are aware and conscious for
> based on much more limited capacities.

Universality is cheap. It does not ask for many capacities. Humans are more
than universal/conscious, they are Löbian/self-conscious, but this does not
mean they need to have heard about Löb, no more than a bacteria needs to have
studied Watson and Crick. You loss me. Even Peano arithmetic can be said to be
Löbian, even if Löb missed that discovery.

> In my favorite intelligent Mars Rover example I see no need to make the
> rover's computers Löbian and they are not going to have unlimited time and
> memory,

Nobody, and no universal machine needs an infinite time and memory. A universal
Turing machine is just a special finite set of quadruples. The tape is only
pedagogical folklore. If you want I explain more. Humans also have no infinite
memories.

> so they won't be universal.

An interpreter LISP is Turing universal independently of the size of the memory
used. A universal Turing machine is a finite set of quadruplets which will
compute phi_x(y) when given the two finite number x and y, and here phi_i is a
enumeration of all Turing machine/quadruplet.

Bruno