I am putting this into a new topic. I tried the other day, but it did not
work. This topic has nothing to do with AI singularity as I can see. I
continue below

On 1 Mar 2018, at 17:22, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfield...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am shifting this over to a new topic.

On Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 4:53:04 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 28 Feb 2018, at 20:38, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfield...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 2:08:43 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 26 Feb 2018, at 18:02, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfield...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 5:53:05 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 24 Feb 2018, at 00:36, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfield...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 23 Feb 2018, at 17:15, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfield...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

Good project. It is partially done—in some sense, even from one special
Diophantine equation, which is Turing-Universal, and QM and GR should (with
mechanism) be “theory independent”. If you can derive them from the
self-reference implicit in a Diophantine equation, you can derive them from
any first order specification of any Turing-complete theory or Turing
universal machinery. Three quantum logics appear already where expected,
and the whole “many-worlds” aspect of Nature appears formally, and
intuitively (through the many computations or the universal dovetailing
implicit in all Turing universal system.

The big advantage, compared to a physical “conventional” approach is that
the Gödelian division between proof and truth, inherited in the “material”
variants of the provability logics provides a mean to distinguish the
sharable quanta from the private first person qualia. The quanta appears as
particular case of first person plural qualia, which justifies the
“multiplication of population” in arithmetic, which is confirmed
(retrospectively) the “contagion” of the superposition, and thus the
linearity at the bottom of the physical reality. Formally we get also the
symmetry (which is quite astonishing formally, given that the “1p” variant
of provability/believability are typically anti-symmetrical).

Bruno

Godel proved his original theorem as an incompleteness with Diophantine
equations.

Gödel’s use the full logic of arithmetic (actually, even of a richer typed
set theory, but its arithmetical part plays the key role).

The unsolvability (and Turing universality) of Diophantine equation took
more than 50 years of intense research begun with Davis and Putnam (around
1950), developed significantly by Julia Robinson (sixties, seventies) , and
transformed eventually by Yuri Matiazevich in the eighties (in Russian).
That solved the Hilbert 10th problem in the negative: there are no
mechanical procedure to solve Diophantine equations (assuming the
Church-Turing thesis of course).

Diophantine equations are also a number theoretic model for quantum
eigen-values. This could connect with spacetime physics and MH spacetimes
with Schild's ladder constructions.

Interesting. Have you some link?

Bruno

Most of this aspect of things is in my mind and not on paper. I am doing a
lot of work with the Ryu-Takayanagi formula and the existence of quantum
error correction codes (QECC). The QECC works to correct "mistakes" when
quantum bits or qubits are out of order within a limited Hamming distance.
We might think of this as meaning if I write instead of the word quantum I
write quanyum that in the alphabet the distance between t and y is 5 and so
the Hamming distance is 5 on one entry. However if i write wismyin, one one
keyboard shift away, the Hamming distance is much larger on all entries.
With a set of text it becomes impossible to reconstruct it with an error
correction code if you have lost about half the information. This is
connected to the problem of the Page time for Hawking radiation and the so
called firewall obstruction.

We might then think of the MH spacetimes as those that are able to overcome
the limits of Gödel by super enumeration. The example of the Zeno machine
that flips a switch is illustrative, which is one way that these spacetimes
are thought to circumvent Gödel. However, if spacetime is built from
quantum entanglements there is then a QECC limitation. This appears then to
limit the prospect for MH spacetimes in their property to become
hyperTuring machines.

There are a number of formal approaches to this. One that I am looking at
is with hyperbolic spacetimes, such as the AdS, that has recursive arcs.
These are similar to Ford circles or that define Farey sequences. The
information content is then a Shannon formula, which is logarithmic and
nonlinear, plus a linear term that multiplied by a sort of Lagrange
multiplier on a pure quantum solution space. These linear terms on each
wedge then connect in a tensor network (similar to MERA nets etc), and
these have relationships to each other that may be defined by Diophantine
equations.

I will have to dig more on this. Note that when we take the
computationalist first person indeterminacy into account, (the fact that no
machine can know which machine she is, nor which computations in arithmetic
she is supported by) leads to an inflation of possibilities, and the real
mystery in the computationalist mind-body problem is why the physical
reality seems so much computable. Now, even with computationalism, this can
be exploited (the consequence of computationalism are still obtained if the
brain was a quantum computer).

Many think that computationalism entails that matter and consciousness are
Turing emulable, but they are not, a bit like most arithmetical truth are
far beyond the computable.

Bruno

Scott Aaronson wrote something like this on his Shtetl Optimized website a
while back. He hypothesised or conjectured that every conscious entity
carries a sort of incomputable Gödel type of number that is a code for
their mental space.

For quantum mechanics this might be important for understanding the problem
of measurement should it turn out that mental consciousness is in some ways
fundamental to that problem. At this point I am rather agnostic on that
stance. It appears plausible to have quantum decoherence and the selection
mechanism for actual outcomes not depend on consciousness. Now as I have
said decoherence occurs when a set of quantum states in a system, in an
experiment set in some prepared state or so called dressed state, are
encoded within quantum states associated with a reservoir of states in a
macroscopic system. For a measurement this macroscopic system is the
apparatus. This has always struck me as a sort of Gödelian process.

With this problem the issue is how quantum mechanics puts limits on the
Malement-Hogarth spacetimes so they are not able to perform
hypercomputations or serve as hyper-Turing machines. Hawking radiation puts
a serious limit I think with Kerr-Newman and Reissnor-Nordstrom spacetimes.
The inner horizon of these black holes has a pile up of states from the
null infinity I^+ that makes this a Cauchy horizon. It is Cauchy because
there is a pile up of null geodesics approaching the horizon. This means an
observer can witness a Zeno machine computation that can circumvent the
Gödel-Turing
limit. However, spacetime is responsive to quantum fluctuations and this
means eternal black holes do not exist. It would then seem quantum
mechanics prevents physical systems from hypercompute.

In a funny way general relativity does this as well. The Zeno machine
formed by a switch that opens and closes each half shortened time interval
could do much the same. However, the UV chirp in frequency is such there is
an ultimate limit where this would become a black hole. Similarly a ball
that bounces losing height can't bounce an infinite number of times because
after a finite number of bounces there are quantum interval cut-offs, and
even before that thermal fluctuations as well. It then appears that physics
operates to protect the Gödel-Turing result.

I do think that these situations do adjust Chaitan's halting probability. A
system  might not physically be able to hypercompute, but if it can compute
"better" then there is maybe an enhanced probability for hitting the right
answer, even if uncomputable.

Cheers LC