> On 5 Jun 2018, at 23:43, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

> On 6/5/2018 8:12 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

>>> Would you like to share those questions?
>> One of the questions is: what is emergence? Is it an ontological step
>> or an epistemological device? If you consider the classical examples:
>> statistical physics, ecosystems, societies, markets, cities, etc. I
>> think you will come to the conclusion that it is epistemological. We
>> do not have enough cognitive capacity to understand the world in terms
>> of the individual behaviors of every single human being, but we are
>> able to perceive and reason about higher-order patterns of behavior. I
>> know what amount of traffic to expect when I ride my bike in a bit,
>> because I know the higher-order patterns of my city. But I also know
>> that a sufficiently powerful intelligence could keep track of the
>> behavior every single person in the city instead. The same goes for
>> molecules, individual financial transactions and so on. There is a
>> cognitive limit that is breached by what we call emergence, but in all
>> of these cases we can go all the way down to the building blocks.
>
> Yes, this comports with my idea that consciousness is in part a summarization
> of experience for memory which is then called on for prediction.  That's why
> we notice and remember unusual things.  We don't need anymore summaries about
> commonplace things.
>

>> This leads to my second question: if we assume emergence, then what is
>> the building block of consciousness? I think that it is easy to see
>> that either consciousness is qualitatively different or we haven't
>> found the building block yet. In either case, emergentism is a very
>> weak hypothesis, in the sense that it does not propose an explanatory
>> mechanism (unlike all other things above).
>
> Functionalism would say the building block is a transformation of
> information...something like a qubit gate.  Here's an interesting overview of
> the non-functionalist ideas of monism:
>

> 'Russellian monism' New paper by Groff and Sam Coleman, forthcoming in Oxford
> Companion to Consciousness, edited by Uriah Kriegel.
> http://www.philipgoffphilosophy.com/uploads/1/4/4/4/14443634/russellian_monism.pdf
>  … #Panpsychism #Consciousness
> http://www.philipgoffphilosophy.com/uploads/1/4/4/4/14443634/russellian_monism.pdf

Hmm… The Tibetan have refuted this centuries ago. Mechanism refutes this too
(exercise).
It is simpler to abandon primary matter. The paper is interesting as it shows
the kind of non computable magic you need to solve the mind body problem to
save both consciousness and matter.
They are still blinded by their absence of doubt for a primitively material
reality.

Bruno