On 8/27/2018 12:43 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:


On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 1:52:41 PM UTC-5, Philip Thrift wrote:



    On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 1:20:53 PM UTC-5, meekerdb wrote:



        On 8/27/2018 12:26 AM, Philip Thrift wrote:


        On Sunday, August 26, 2018 at 5:51:58 PM UTC-5, meekerdb wrote:



            On 8/26/2018 4:54 AM, spinozalens via Free Thinkers
            Physics Discussion Group wrote:


            uuu
            -----Original Message-----
            From: Brent Meeker <[email protected]>
            To: atvoid-2 <[email protected]>
            Sent: Sun, Aug 26, 2018 2:02 am
            Subject: Re: Universes from Nothing-What about the “Laws”?


                Brent

                *
                We are talking past each other. It's probably my
                fault. I have lost the tread on what we disagree about.*


            I don't think I disagree about anything with you. I
            disagreed with phil because he wants to banish the
            concept of thoughts. The problem is that thoughts, and
            especially perceptions, are epistemologically prior to
            matter.  We have perceptions, which are an incorrigble
            and fundamental basis of knowledge.  Then based on that
            knowledge/observation we arrive at a theory that says
            nothing exists but matter and material processes.  That
            theory may well be true.  But without explicating which
            material processes produce perceptions and other
            thoughts, as compared to processes that don't, the
            theory that only matter and material processes exist is
            aspirational. If only matter exist, then thoughts and
            perceptions must be explained in terms of matter.  You
            can't just dismiss them as "immaterial" because they are
            the basis of knowledge about matter.

            *Well I don't agree with Phil. As I have made clear my
            viewpoint is neither materialistic or idealistic. There
            is no causality  between mind and matter, mind and
            matter are two available attributes of reality. This is
            neutral monism. This position , in my opinion, provides
            an answer to the question posed by Vilenkin at the end
            of his book " Many Worlds in One" and provides the
            missing piece in Lawrence Krauss's book " A Universe
            From Nothing" These are not scientific views , though I
            hope they are based in our current  scientific
            understanding.
            *

            So you reject the pure materialist idea that matter
            causes mind by doing certain computations.  This would
            imply that a computer, made of silicon, copper,...,
            cannot produce mind by simply performing the same
            computations as a brain does.  It might conceivably
            produce some different kind of mind.

            Bertrand Russell's idea of neutral monism was that there
            were something like "atoms of reality" that would be
            events like time-stamped propositions.  Mind would be one
            way of collecting these events into coherent threads
            constituting persons and the physical world would be
            another way of collecting them into a "reality" shared by
            the different minds.



            It's the mirror image of the argument I have with Bruno
            Marchal who says if computation (and he means the
            Platonist version) is all that exists then matter must
            be an aspect of computation, e.g. as it might be in a
            holodeck simulation.  This too might be true, but
            without explaining matter it's also aspirational.

            *
            *
            *The implicit mistake here is assuming casualty between
            mind and matter in my opinion*

            There's just one thing in Bruno's ontology, computation. 
            Mind and matter are just aspects of computation.  Think
            of "The Matrix" or Star Trek's holodeck in which the
            people are also part of the simulation.

            Brent





         I know Brent hates seeing the citing of references, but here
        is the reference *[pdf, 11 pages]*  to Marchal's theory:

        MECHANISM AND PERSONAL IDENTITY
        Bruno MARCHAL

        http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/M&PI_15-MAI-91.pdf
        <http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/%7Emarchal/publications/M&PI_15-MAI-91.pdf>

        [Mechanistic Platonism]

        "Note the Platonism I use is the minimal one which permits me
        to embed other (i.e. independent of oneself) mind"in an
        independent reality. It is the Platonism of a will writer."

        And I know Phil thinks "Platonism" is a sufficient epithet to
        shut off any discussion.  I've read Bruno's paper and I argue
        with him regularly over on the "everything" email list.

        Brent



    It not about that. It's about showing its problems; for example
    "The application of Platonic reality to physics is fraught with
    problems."

    *Materialism Deconstructed?*
    By Victor Stenger

    
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/victor-stenger/materialism-deconstructed_b_2228362.html
    
<https://www.huffingtonpost.com/victor-stenger/materialism-deconstructed_b_2228362.html>

    - pt



I sort of was following the first part of Bruno Marchal's paper. Mechanistic Platonism sound like a good thing, no?

But it doesn't help to say /Bruno says X /when you don't point to a reference (a link) *to a document *people can go to read to see for themselves where he said that. It's not like Bruno is some Yoda that can be invoked.

Since you referred to his paper, I assumed you knew where to find his publications:
http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications.html

His most complete exposition of his theory in English is the SANE 2004 paper:
http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/SANE2004MARCHALAbstract.html

But if you want to discourse with him directly, he holds forth on [email protected].  He is very nice, patient logician who teaches at Université Libre de Bruxelles and not at all a crank.

Brent

- pt
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Free Thinkers Physics Discussion Group" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/atvoid-2/c93c907f-34e0-4a25-b173-a11065accbe6%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/atvoid-2/c93c907f-34e0-4a25-b173-a11065accbe6%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/everything-list.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to