> On 27 Aug 2018, at 20:18, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> On Friday, August 24, 2018 at 3:22:39 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>> On 24 Aug 2018, at 00:53, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>>

>> On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 5:55:33 PM UTC, agrays...@gmail.com
>> <http://gmail.com/> wrote:
>>

>> On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 3:28:13 PM UTC, Brent wrote:
>> Why don't we all chip in an buy Alan a computer so he can look stuff up on
>> Wikipedia.
>>
>> Brent
>>
>> I will when you have the courtesy to explain your contradictory statements
>> about the instantaneous, infinite extent of the wf. Oh BTW, with your big
>> brain, I suppose it never occurred to you that I wanted to hear Bruno's
>> definition, which if experience is worth anything, could be wildly DIFFERENT
>> from Wiki. While you assess all that, why don't you go fuck yourself, and
>> then tell us how it felt. OK? AG
>>
>> FWIW, comparing Bruno's description with Wiki, which was my intent,
>> confirms, at least for me, that the postulates of QM are easier to
>> understand, even though many of the defining functions of a Turing Machine
>> are known to those who have programmed modern computers, notwithstanding
>> that the latter use random access memory. I don't see why the use of RAM is
>> decisively important in distinguishing a Turing Machine from how modern
>> computers are designed. AG
>

> You are right. You can see a von Neumann computer as a Turing machine. As the
> set of symbols, and state are arbitrary, you can even see a brain as a Turing
> machine.
>
> From my naive pov, I initially think a Turing machine can manipulate
> arbitrary symbols and logical commands, and is limited to computable
> functions, whatever they are. If so, and you consider a brain a Turing
> machine, what does it do with non-computable functions? AG

I will show that universality (the ability to compute *all* computable
function) entails the possibility of ending in a non terminating computation,
without any ability to know that that is the case. But for this, we need first
to get a definition of what is computable. We will come back on this. You want
proceed to much quickly I think. It is good, but there are some subtleties and
traps to avoid.

Bruno

> That is why eventually Gödel accepted Turing’s argument for the Church’s
> thesis.
>
> Note that the wikipedia is often bad on logic or on computation, ...not
> mentioning computationalism.
>
> Have you understood Cantor’s diagonal proof of the non enumerability of the
> set of infinite sequence, in my yesterday post. If not I can explain again,
> with different notation. There is a real surprise at the end of that thread,
> you will see (I think and hope).
>
> Bruno

>>> BB(1) =1
>>> BB(2) =6