On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 10:20:09 PM UTC, Pierz wrote:

> Obviously you can't measure the particle simultaneously in the up and down
> state. Nobody believes that.

Bruno does.

Nobody is arguing it.

Bruno argues it.

Honestly it's hard to understand why you have such an agitated bee in your
> bonnet about superpositions.

I don't like misleading ideas.

The mathematical expression of the photon polarised at 45 degrees to the
> measurement apparatus is a normalised vector spanning the space of both up
> and down. I guess what you interpret that to mean is up to you since the
> mathematical predictions that arise from it are the same: 50% chance of up
> or down. Once again, you're simply arguing at cross purposes with Bruno,
> who clearly understands QM perfectly well.

Not in my opinion. He thinks that an Up or Dn measurement is the same as
measuring Up + Dn or Up - Dn because the wf can be written that way in some
basis.

He's not saying the photon can be measured as up and down at the same time.
> He's just saying that any superposition of up and down is an eigenvector in
> some other orientation of the apparatus.

It's not. My last post proved this with utmost clarity. Up + Dn or Up - Dn
is never an eigenfunction regardless of the orientation of the apparatus.
How could it be if measuring Up and Dn separately exhausts the total
probability of unity? I think you need to rethink this issue.