On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 1:05:26 PM UTC, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 7:39:14 PM UTC, agrays...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>>
>> If you write a superposition as a sum of eigenstates, why is it
>> important, or relevant, or even true that the component states are coherent
>> since eigenstates with distinct eigenvalues are orthogonal. This means
>> there is no interference between the components of the superposition. AG
>>

> Put another way; from what I've read, coherence among components of a
> superposition is necessary to guarantee interference, but since an
> eigenstate expansion of the superposition consists of orthogonal, non
> interfering eigenstates, the requirement of coherence seems unnecessary. AG

*For decoherence to occur, one needs, presumably, a coherent superposition.
But when the wf is expressed as a sum of eigenstates with unique
eigenvalues, those eigenstates are mutually orthogonal; hence, IIUC, there
is no coherence. So, how can decoherence occur when the state function,
expressed as a sum of eigenstates with unique eigenvalues, is not coherent?
I must be missing something, but what it is I have no clue. AG *