On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 2:36 AM <agrayson2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> *Thanks, but I'm looking for a solution within the context of interference
> and coherence, without introducing your theory of consciousness. Mainstream
> thinking today is that decoherence does occur, but this seems to imply
> preexisting coherence, and therefore interference among the component
> states of a superposition. If the superposition is expressed using
> eigenfunctions, which are mutually orthogonal -- implying no mutual
> interference -- how is decoherence possible, insofar as coherence, IIUC,
> doesn't exist using this basis? AG*

I think you misunderstand the meaning of "coherence" when it is used off an
expansion in terms of a set of mutually orthogonal eigenvectors. The
expansion in some eigenvector basis is written as

   |psi> = Sum_i (a_i |v_i>)

where |v_i> are the eigenvectors, and i ranges over the dimension of the
Hilbert space. The expansion coefficients are the complex numbers a_i.
Since these are complex coefficients, they contain inherent phases. It is
the preservation of these phases of the expansion coefficients that is
meant by "maintaining coherence". So it is the coherence of the particular
expansion that is implied, and this has noting to do with the mutual
orthogonality or otherwise of the basis vectors themselves. In decoherence,
the phase relationships between the terms in the original expansion are
lost.

Bruce