On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 7:51 PM Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 12/23/2018 4:04 AM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> On Sunday, December 23, 2018, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>> On 12/22/2018 4:29 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 10:01 PM Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> On 12/21/2018 5:43 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

>>> What is wrong with using the 3-d hyperspace perpendicular to their
>>> direction through spacetime?
>>>

>>> That's words.  How shall they determine whether event X in distant
>>> galaxy Y is simultaneous with their clock reading Z?  Is their "direction
>>> through spacetime" constant over billions of years?
>>>

>> If the event occurred N-light years away, and light from that event
>> arrives in N-years, then it can be considered simultaneous with the
>> observer.
>>

>> You mean it could have been considered simultaneous if the observer had
>> known it at the time and the observer had not changed motion in the
>> intervening years.
>>

>> If their direction through spacetime changes, they must change their
>> interpretation of what constitutes the present.
>>

>> So as I get up and walk to the garage, whole galaxies of events switch
>> from my past to my future. What is the physical significance of this?
>>

>> Brent
>>

> Nothing, beyond showing we exist in a 4d spacetime with no objective
> present (a block time).
>

> That's what I thought you wanted to conclude.  But it doesn't follow.  The
> specious present is just a mathematical construct and has no physical
> significance.  It says no more than that one can make a 4D map.

So do you believe that presentism is compatible under relativity?  If one
puts two synchronized clocks (one at the front, and one at the read) of a
rocket, and then the rocket accelerates, the rocket attains a tilted
direction in space time, and while the rocket remains at a positive
velocity, the rear-ward clock will be "ahead in time" of the forward
clock.  The rocket is reaching through the dimension of time which explains
the discrepancy of the clocks.  When the rocket comes to rest, the rocket
will have "0" reach through the proper time dimension, and the clocks will
again appear synchronized.  If something can have an extent through the
proper time dimension, how can this be compatible with presentism?

Jason