> On 18 Feb 2019, at 20:18, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 9:14:38 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/everything-list/0SIiavzPI84/jUkaOlUdAwAJ
> This is the link to the reply in the topic "When Did Consciousness Begin?" As
> I have said before, the modal logic and numerical semantics written there is
> one way to approach the science of experience. But I think ultimately this is
> a logical semantics (not a material semantics), but of course belief in an
> actual numerical reality makes a difference.
>
> Here is something more along those lines:
>
> On modal logic and consciousness:
>
> A Modal Logic for Gödelian Intuition
> Hasen Khudairi
> https://philarchive.org/archive/KHUAML
>
> Towards an Axiomatic Theory of Consciousness
> Jim Cunningham [ https://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rjc/ ]
> https://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rjc/Cunningham.pdf
>

> However I think that there is ultimately a material semantics.

I can imagine a semantic for some theory of matter, but matter itself cannot be
semantical. What would that mean? Even without mechanism, I have no idea what
that could mean.

> As for the ancient Greeks, forget Aristotle and look to Epicurus.

I assume mechanism, and I just listen to the universal machine, with machine
taken in the sense of Church and Turing. The notion of matter is not assumed in
such definition, and we know, basically since Gödel, that they exist in
arithmetic (semantically, of course).

> Some "offbeat" materialism I just came across that my be of interest:
>
> Terry Eagleton
> Materialism, Yale University Press
> excerpt 1: https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=PErJDQAAQBAJ
> excerpt 2:
> http://blog.yalebooks.com/2017/02/09/material-theology-and-christian-religion/

Very nice. I would not have dare to suggest that christianism is so much
materialist. I am not sure this was true during the five first hundreds years,
but it is dogmatically so after 529 (closure of Plato’s academy).

> Matter is an aggregation of cuisines whose recipes arise and combine to form
> the cookbook of nature.

No problem with this, on the contrary. A recipe is another name for an
algorithm, which is typically not made of matter, but exist in arithmetic.

And for the cooking, there is no need distinguish primary matter, which cannot
exist with Mechanism, and matter, which obviously exist phenomenologically.

Bruno