> On 13 Mar 2019, at 07:25, Pierz <pier...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A question for the physicists. I understand that entanglement is monogamous,
> which is really just a way of saying that a system's correlations with other
> systems cannot exceed +-1. Thus a maximally entangled system has no room for
> entanglement with any other system.

Unless it is no more isolated, I would say. (I am not a physicist, and I can
make sense only of QM without collapse)

> The question is what happens to previous entanglements when a particle
> interacts with another particle, such that it becomes maximally entangled
> with it.

Entanglement are just special superpositions, involving many “bodies”. Previews
entanglement cannot disappear, but can be “traced out” and discarded FAPP.

> Are prior entanglements completely obliterated,

I don’t think that is possible (unless wave collapse is postulated).

> or are they just obliterated FAPP, meaning that maximal entanglement is also
> only FAPP?

Yes, I would say it is local to the isolated system you are concerned with.
Some people argue that if we are machine with a so low level of substitution
that we need the exact quantum state of the brain, then, the whole universe
needs to be duplicated, because a quantum Big Bang entangled all possible
particles at the start.

> ISTM that some remote trace of entanglement - a kind of micro-entanglement -
> must remain?

In principle, yes. I would say. In practice, we can’t recover them, it would be
as hard as reversing the “Schroedinger equation” of the whole universe. That is
even more difficult than resuscitating a Schroedinger cat, which is already
technically unfeasible.