On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 4:42:18 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> Things are much simpler if we assume mechanism, like Everett. But Everett
> stil assumes some universal wave, which, when we assume mechanism, must be
> justify by the mechanist first person indeterminacy in arithmetic.
>
> To apply physics, “shut up and calculate” is all good, but in Metaphysics,
> it is pure authoritative argument to prevent finding and testing possible
> solutions of the problem. That is doubly true in the Mechanist frame,
> probably because the Mechanist solution is troubling for those who are
> physicalist, and believe in an ontological physical universe.
>
> The mechanist solution is empirically testable, so let us test it. Up to
> now, Mechanism is the only theory which explains the appearance without
> eliminating consciousness and its mechanist explanation (the theology G*
> and its variants).
>
> With Mechanism, physics is not the fundamental science. Physics is reduced
> to a sort of arithmetical probability/credibility machine theory.
>
> Bruno

This distinction between what is physical and what is mechanistic seems
somewhat contrived. I suppose in the philosophical world this is what
people do, where now there are people into meta-metaphysics. I am not an
enemy of philosophy quite in the way Feynman was or his followers as
Weinberg, but I do think science is best with a minimum of metaphysics.

LC