On Friday, August 30, 2019 at 10:10:22 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 30 Aug 2019, at 04:33, Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> If there are infinities in mathematics, but not in physics or in nature,
> is that a problem? AG
>

> Is that an interesting problem? I guess so.
>
> Some theories in mathematics assume an axiom of infinity, like in set
> theory, analysis, etc.
>
> That has often led to paradoxes, but they have been “solved” by diverse
> means. So most such theories are considered not being problematic. We can
> also show that, even restricted on the arithmetical truth (which has no
> axiom of infinite, as all natural numbers are conceived to be finite),
> adding an axiom of infinity lead to stronger provability abilities. The set
> theory ZF proves much more than the arithmetic theories PA, even on just
> the numbers relations. Yet ZF, and actually all effective theories are
> limited on a small spectrum of the arithmetical reality. The omega-initial
> segment of ZF mirrors PA faithfully.
>
> In physics, the universe itself could be infinite, without having any
> infinite things in it, like the model of Arithmetic (all numbers are
> finite, and the set of all numbers is just a meta-concept, not
> representable directly in the theory, but still manageable (you can prove
> in PA that there is an infinite of prime numbers, by proving
>
> For x (prime(x) -> It exist y (y bigger than x) and prime(y)).
>
> Are there actual infinite object in the universe?
>
> I can prove that if mechanism is false, then there as such object. With
> Mechanism, the mind is infinite, and physics is somehow the Mind seen from
> itself internally. That might favours an infinite physical universe. Does
> our substitution level depend on Planck Constant? Open problem.
>
> With mechanism, the axiom of the infinite is inconsistent on the
> ontological level, but is a theorem on the phenomenological level. It
> shortens the proofs, and provide many tools to to handle mathematically the
> semantic, the notion of limit, many form of approximation, even to learn
> just about the natural numbers or the combinators.
>
> Mechanism provides a testable account of the mind-body relation, an
> account which does not assume more than elementary arithmetic, and which
> doesn’t involve any other ontological commitment. So let us see. The
> quantum structure, and time, admits a “simple" arithmetical interpretation,
> but space, dimension, energy remains in the shadow.
>
> Science has not yet decided between Plato's and Aristotle’s conception of
> reality, and not all people are aware of the hypothetical nature of those
> options, nor that Digital Mechanism, or even just the Church-Turing thesis,
> leads us back to Pythagorus and Plato.
>
> The natural numbers realised the infinities without making them into
> existing things, or beings.
>
> Bruno

Also, some may think that because theoretical physics (field theories) is
expressed in a language that includes a mathematically continuous (real
number) background R^4 of spacetime and the methods of multidimensional
calculus (tensor calculus, etc.), that because *mathematically
infinite-divisibility* is present and *infinitary definitions* (like
"limit") are present, that these  "infinities" of the mathematics are real
in the actual world.

@philipthrift