On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 9:37 PM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 5:51 PM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> Our branch of the multiverse is electrically neutral and it seems
>>> likely all of them are, so preserving conservation of charge doesn't seem
>>> like much of a problem.
>>>

>> *> Consider firing an electron at a screen. There are a very large number
>> of sub-branches created -- one for every position that the electron can
>> land. There was only one negative charge originally -- now there are a very
>> large number. Where did the extra charges come from?*
>>

> What extra charges? That electron existed in a electrically neutral
> universe, if you multiply that by "a very large number" you've got a very
> large number of electrically neutral universes and charge conservation is
> preserved in each branch and of course in the entire multiverse.

That seems to be nearly an explanation. When you single the electron out
and consider its wave function as representing a large number of possible
positions on the screen, the rest of the universe must have a net positive
charge, since it starts off electrically neutral. So as the rest of the
universe is split, the electron always arrives in a universe that is
lacking one negative charge, so that the result is always a universe that
is electrically neutral on every branch.

The trouble seems to be that this account is different from the account
given in the energy case, where we were supposed to weight the sub-branches
by their corresponding Born weights. With the result that the original
energy was split among the branches according to the Born weights, and the
total energy of the global wave function was not increased. In the charge
case, the original charge is not split according to any weight at all --
that would not make sense. So a corresponding number of positively charged
universes have to be created so that each branch can end up electrically
neutral. In the global wave function, therefore, the total number of
electrons (and cancelling positive charges) must have increased by the
number of possible positions that the original electron could have landed.

This all seems a bit ad hoc and odd. Why should the Born weights play a
role for energy, but not for charge? Or is it the case that the Born
weights play no role at all, and in the energy case, the rest of the
universe in which the particle lands is always one lacking the energy of
just that particle. Energy being then conserved in every branch separately,
but not in the global wave function? Odd, to say the least.

Bruce