On Wednesday, January 1, 2020 at 2:41:28 AM UTC-6, Alan Grayson wrote:

> On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 6:16:17 PM UTC-7, Philip Thrift wrote:

>>> The whole point is that, *according to Tegmark*, *there should not be
>>> be* *a theory of physics* in which "the cosmos is spatially flat and
>>> infinite".
>>>
>>> So how does one put that in one's pipe and smokes it?
>>>
>>> @philipthrift
>>>

>> I don't know if Tegmark is right or wrong. but his dictum is that there
>> should be *no theories that have infinite anythings*. So one has to
>> start with that.
>>

>> @philipthrift/
>>

> I don't see any problem with having infinities in a theory provided
> they're not measurable. For example, consider the steady state universe
> which was proposed in 1948 by Hermann Bondi, Thomas Gold and Fred Hoyle.
> It just means a universe which is homogeneous, expanding, with mass density
> constant  and constant creation of space and matter, and infinite in age
> and spatial extent -- where this spatial infinity is much like the concept
> of infinity in mathematics, namely, one can travel any distance, in any
> direction, and no matter how far, that distance can be exceeded. But what
> we have as our best theory today is a universe of finite age, expanding at
> a finite rate, yet conceived of by most cosmologists as flat and therefore
> infinite in spatial extent. These properties seem inherently contradictory.
> Something has to give. AG

This could be the case:

For every formal IUT (infinite universe theory) there is a formal FUT
(finite universe theory - there is no infinite entity in the theory) - that
is just as good in matching up to all observations.

What has to 'give' is this:

We can *never, ever know* which one corresponds to reality.

@philipthrift