On Saturday, April 25, 2020 at 10:49:13 AM UTC-6, Alan Grayson wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 4:29:02 AM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 4:42 AM Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> *> how can the EM field contribute anything to the vacuum energy in a
>>> region of empty space far away from charged particles? *
>>

>> Because Quantum Mechanics tells us that some things can happen for no
>> reason, and because it tells us that the law of conservation of energy can
>> be violated, if only for a very short amount of time. So 2 particles with
>> opposite charges can briefly pop into existence, and so can electromagnetic
>> waves. And we know what Quantum Mechanics is telling us is true because
>> it has been experimentally verified to very high precision.
>>
>> John K Clark
>>

> How does QM tell us that conservation of energy can be violated for brief
> durations? If you apply the time-energy form of the UP for your proof,
> please state the context of your proof, that is, exactly what do E and t
> stand for in your proof. TIA, AG

Also, IMO, QM doesn't tell us that events are uncaused. All it tells us is
the probability of some event being measured. Big difference! HOWEVER, you
might want to argue that if a cause of a quantum event can be identified,
it implies a local hidden variable, which has been shown *not* to exist. Is
this what you claim to be able to show? AG