On 5/12/2020 10:08 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 2:06 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

    On 5/12/2020 7:12 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:

    > If we now turn our attention to the quantum case, we have a
    > measurement (or sequence of measurements) on a binary quantum state
    >
    >      |psi> = a|0> + b|1>,
    >
    > where |0> is to be counted as a "success", |1> represents anything
    > else or a "fail", and a^2 + b^2 = 1. In a single measurement, we
    can
    > get either |0> or 1>, (or we get both on separate branches in the
    > Everettian case). Over a sequence of N similar trials, we get a
    set of
    > 2^N sequences of all possible bit strings of length N. (These all
    > exist in separate "worlds" for the Everettian, or simply represent
    > different "possible worlds" (or possible sequences of results)
    in the
    > single-world case.) This set of bit strings is independent of the
    > coefficients 'a' and 'b' from the original state |psi>, but if we
    > carry the amplitudes of the original superposition through the
    > sequence of results, we find that for every zero in a bit string we
    > get a factor of 'a', and for every one, we get a factor of 'b'.

    This is what you previously argued was not part of the Schroedinger
    equation and was a cheat to slip the Born rule in.  It's what I
    said was
    Carroll's "weight" or splitting of many pre-existing worlds.

This is not what Carroll does. He looks at a single measurement, and boosts the number of components of the wave function so that all have the same amplitude. That, I argue, is a mistake.

    > Consequently, the amplitude multiplying any sequence of M zeros and
    > (N-M) ones, is a^M b^(N-M). Again, differentiating with respect
    to 'a'
    > to find the turning point (and the value of 'a' that maximizes this
    > amplitude), we find
    >
    >     |a|^2 = M/N,

    Maximizing this amplitude, instead of simply counting the number of
    sequences with M zeroes as a fraction of all sequences (which is
    independent of a) is effectively assuming |a|^2 is a probability
    weight.  The "most likely" number of zeroes, the number that
    occurs most
    often in the 2^N sequences, is is N/2.

I agree that if you simply look for the most likely number of zeros, ignoring the amplitudes, then that is N/2. But I do not see that maximising the amplitude for any particular value of M is to effectively assume that it is a probability.

I think it is.  How would you justify ".. the amplitude multiplying any sequence of M zeros and (N-M) ones, is a^M b^(N-M)..." except by saying a is a probability, so a^M is the probability of M zeroes. If it's not a probability why should it be multiplied into and expression to be maximized?

In any case though, I don't see the form of the Born rule as something problematic.  It's getting from counting branches to probabilities.  Once you assume there is a probability measure, you're pretty much forced to the Born rule as the only consistent probability measure.

Brent

When you do this, you can see by analogy that it is a probability, but one did not assume this at the start.

Bruce
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAFxXSLQ-%2BoGsRUcNH8NZ3Ypd9eR5Y%2BR6HwweBSbTbB6JR-T-mw%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAFxXSLQ-%2BoGsRUcNH8NZ3Ypd9eR5Y%2BR6HwweBSbTbB6JR-T-mw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.