On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 2:26 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> Let us write f_n for the function from N to N computed by nth expression.
>
> Now, the function g defined by g(n) = f_n(n) + 1 is computable, and is
> defined on all N. So it is a computable function from N to N. It is
> computable because it each f_n is computable, “+ 1” is computable, and, vy
> our hypothesis it get all and only all computable functions from N to N.
>
> But then, g has have itself an expression in that universal language, of
> course. There there is a number k such that g = f_k. OK?
>
> But then we get that g_k, applied to k has to give f_k(k), as g = f_k, and
> f_k(k) + 1, by definition of g.

That is a fairly elementary blunder. g_k applied to k, g_k(k) = f_n(k)+1,
by definition of g_k. You do not get to change the function from f_n to f_k
in the expression. It is only the argument that changes: in other words,
f_n(n) becomes f_n(k). So you are talking nonsense.

Bruce

So f_k(k) = f_k(k) +1.