On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 6:46:16 AM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 6:19 AM Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> Sabine Hossenfelder @skdh
>>

>  > *Take it from me when I say no nation on this planet is doing
>> strategic planning on quantum computers.*
>

> NSA, Army Seek Quantum Computers Less Prone to Error
> <https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2019/12/nsa-army-research-aim-more-advancedand-less-noisyquantum-systems/162029/?oref=d-river>
>

> The Pentagon is Trying to Secure Its Networks Against Quantum Codebreakers
> <https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2019/05/pentagon-trying-secure-its-networks-against-quantum-codebreakers/157276/?oref=d1-related-article>
>
> John K Clark

This may be the case. Quantum computing is interesting, and with the IBM QE
I wrote a couple of simple codes to prepare entangled states and to flip
them in a Hadamard gate. The QE runs at 50 qubits, which is a narrow path
so to speak. It is also an ungainly thing that sits in a cryro-tank. Maybe
diamond with nitrogen atoms at specific locations will lead to practical
q-computers. The big issue needed to be cracked is quantum error
correction, where progress on this in time may lead to more practical
quantum computers or processors that might in the future enter into
computers. It is possible in a few decades that quantum computers might
begin to appear all around us. It will probably take a fair amount of time.

Sabine's assessment of quantum metrology over quantum computing is probably
correct in the next decade or two.

LC