On Friday, July 10, 2020 at 7:11:39 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 9 Jul 2020, at 13:14, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfield...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> On Thursday, July 9, 2020 at 5:59:04 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 7 Jul 2020, at 20:05, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
>> everyth...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>
>> I thought the big application of QC after encryption, was going to be
>> protein folding and similar biomolecular interactions.
>>

>> That is how Feynman discovered quantum computation, in a more informal
>> way than Deutsch quantum universal Turing machine.
>>
>> You thought? What did change your mind? Quantum simulation will be the
>> main application of quantum computations for the millennia to come … once
>> we get genuine big frame quantum computer.
>>
>> I agree with Clark that topological quantum computation is the most long
>> term promising path, but to squeeze an electron and braid its plane moves
>> requires immense apparatus/magnet. The first genuine quantum computing
>> machine might be very huge. That will not easily been miniaturised. But
>> then IBM was using giant trucks to transport for its first 5Mb hard drive
>> in 1955, and I expect huge progress in condoned matter physics, and some
>> serendipitous discovery along the way…
>>
>> Bruno
>>

> Graphene reduces the dimension of QM to 2-space plus time. In effect it is
> two dimension if the wavelength of quantum states is longer than any atomic
> thickness to the sheets.
>

> Interesting. I can conceive this makes sense, but I am not sure this
> indicates that we could use Graphene for quantum topological computation. I
> am not sure you could consider the electron of a layer of graphene to be
> “squeezed” in 2D, at least in a manner so that you can build a braid and
> get a topological qubit. (I guess that you are not implying that in
> graphene the electron themselves are confined in a 2D space?).
>
> Bruno

If there are no eigenstates in the direction perpendicular to the graphene
sheet, then from a quantum mechanical perspective that dimension does not
exist. QM is a bit strange that way, but what counts are not continuum
ideas of space, but rather whether there are eigenstates that have
observables corresponding to a particular direction.

LC