> On 10 Aug 2020, at 22:54, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> On Monday, August 10, 2020 at 5:44:59 AM UTC-5 Bruno Marchal wrote:
>> On 7 Aug 2020, at 20:35, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfield...@gmail.com
>> <applewebdata://785799C2-6972-45E6-9F97-1CF1705F2E8F>> wrote:
>>
>> Context is all if you are doing science, for in science we study objects and
>> events.
>

> I think science is more general than that. When you do metaphysics with the
> scientific method, it might be better to not postulate objects and events, as
> this seems to presuppose already Aristotelian theology.
>
> Np need to military science. Science can study anything, propose theories
> about anything, as long as it gives mans of testing the theories, and
> evaluating their benefits.
>

>> If your interest is in doing pure mathematics or computer science that is
>> fine, but it in of itself does not give physics.
>

> Have you read my papers? I can prove that IF we assume Mechanism, then
> physics has to be justified entirely by the machine theology (by which I mean
> the study of the intensional variant of Solovay’s logic G*, as I have
> explained sometimes).
>

> I remember reading something of yours a couple of years ago. You might have
> to send me the paper with this development.

I will do that.

> The equation between quantum states and units of information is through the
> von Neumann quantum entropy and its parallel with Shannon;s formula.
> Transitions between states by interactions are then in a way modeled as a
> sort of computation or algorithmic-like process. I am not particularly given
> to the idea the universe is an algorithm though.

Mechanism makes this impossible. The physical universe is an emerging, in the
mind of the universal machine, of a *non* computable first person (plural)
pattern.

At each instant (indexical computational step) you have an infinity of
computations (arithmetical concept) going through you state. To predict any
first person experience (like seing a the position of a needle on some device),
you need “in principle” to look at all computations going through that state,
and that can be shown to be not computable a priori.

A slogan could be: IF I am a machine, then what I am not is NOT a machine.

Most attributes of a machine (even non universal) are not computable/decidable.
Already, the set of programs computing any functions is not a decidable set
(Rice theorem), and no person-machine can know which machine support her, or
which computations access her.
(This is easy to prove, but is also rather obvious if you thing to program
factorial using some partially undecided subroutine).

I will send you paper soon. Meanwhile, you can consult my sane04 summary
papers,

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/SANE2004MARCHALAbstract.html
<http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/SANE2004MARCHALAbstract.html>

and if your institution follows some journal, you might get them from herebelow:

Marchal B. The computationalist reformulation of the mind-body problem. Prog
Biophys Mol Biol; 2013 Sep;113(1):127-40
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23567157

Marchal B. The Universal Numbers. From Biology to Physics, Progress in
Biophysics and Molecular Biology, 2015, Vol. 119, Issue 3, 368-381.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26140993

B. Marchal. The Origin of Physical Laws and Sensations. In 4th International
System Administration and Network Engineering Conference, SANE 2004, Amsterdam,
2004.
http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/SANE2004MARCHALAbstract.html
(sane04)

Plotinus PDF paper with the link:
Marchal B. A Purely Arithmetical, yet Empirically Falsifiable, Interpretation of
Plotinus’ Theory of Matter. In Barry Cooper S. Löwe B., Kent T. F. and Sorbi
A., editors, Computation and Logic in the Real World, Third Conference on
Computability in Europe June 18-23, pages 263–273. Universita degli studi di
Sienna, Dipartimento di Roberto Magari, 2007.
http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/CiE2007/SIENA.pdf
(http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/CiE2007/SIENA.pdf
<http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/CiE2007/SIENA.pdf>)

Marchal B. The East, the West and the Universal Machine, Progress in Biophysics
and Molecular Biology, 2017, Vol. 131, pp. 251-260.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28919132

Marchal B.  Religion, science and theology, similarity and differences, Dialogo
Journal, 2018, Vol. 5, pp. 205-218.
(available at http://www.dialogo-conf.com/archive/)