> On 15 Sep 2020, at 20:16, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> On 9/15/2020 5:04 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>> On 14 Sep 2020, at 19:32, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
>>> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

>>> ??  That's like saying that painting stop signs red is a convention, but
>>> the fact that stop signs are red is not.
>> ?
>>
>> It is more like saying that the axioms of arithmetic, and the definition of
>> prime numbers, are conventional but that the truth of Euclid’s statement
>> “there is no biggest prime” is not; or that the definition of group is
>> conventional, but that the classification of finite simple groups is not.
>
> What is entailed by a convention is conventional.

My point is that the definition, the choice of axioms, etc. can arguably
considered conventional, or even contingent, relying on our goal, which can be
local and related to some human interest. Why study symmetries? Why study
smooth varieties, or why study Saturn, Mars, … Where the convention stops is
when we derive the consequences of the axioms, or the truth about the objects
that we defined. It is the same in math and in physics.

A witnessing of this is the use of computer in sorts of mathematical
experimental exploration, like just observing where the Riemann critical zeros
are. We have looked at billions of them, and they are all well situated on the
critical line, confirming the Rieman Hypothesis “experimentally”. Now
mathematician want proof, but, even if we find it, the result can hardly be
described as conventional. If I was, let us convene that all zeroes behave
well, and let us convene to send me the one million of dollars prize :)

Bruno