On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 at 09:02, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 11:29 PM Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 at 22:17, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> It can be a metaphysical truth without there being any dualist
>>> underpinnings. The problem, as you point out, is when there are multiple
>>> copies of you extant at a single time. If you consider yourself to be a
>>> random selection from this reference class, then you have made the dualist
>>> assumption that there is something that picks you out -- something that
>>> distinguishes you from all the other copies. Whereas, in reality, all the
>>> copies are the same and must think the same: they can deduce that they are
>>> not special, and that the probability for the existence of each copy is
>>> exactly one -- the Born probabilities have no bearing on their existence
>>> because they inevitably exist regardless of the magnitude of the
>>> mod-squared quantum amplitude. There is no process that selects just one
>>> individual copy at random from a distribution, whether it be the uniform
>>> distribution over branches, or the probability distribution obtained by
>>> Born weighting each branch.
>>>

>> I know that all the other copies feel as I do, that they are the unique
>> continuation of the original. For an entity that feels this way, the Born
>> probabilities apply.
>>

> The Born probabilities apply because a single-world model has been adopted
> by default. You cannot prove that there are any intrinsic probabilities in
> a deterministic branching world.

People in a deterministic branching world will say “I tossed a coin many
times and about half the time it came up heads”. They will then assign a
probability of 1/2 to heads coming up on the next toss. I don’t know if you
would call this an “intrinsic probability”, but that is what would happen.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou