> On 10 Mar 2021, at 18:29, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> On 3/10/2021 1:18 AM, Tomas Pales wrote:
>>

>> On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 6:40:51 AM UTC+1 Brent wrote:
>>

>> On 3/9/2021 3:52 PM, Tomas Pales wrote:

>>> So everything that does not exist is something that cannot possibly exist.
>>> But does that mean in the future or just now.  If it means just now then
>>> it's a trivial tautology, equivalent to "It is what it is." and has no
>>> useful content.  But if it means now and the future, even confined to the
>>> near future, it's false.
>>>

>>> When you talk about something you must define it. The temporal position of
>>> an object is part of its definition (identity). So when object X can exist
>>> at time t, then it must exist at time t. It's trivial, just an example of
>>> the law of identity.

>>> c.f. Russell's teapot.
>>>
>>> c.f. Granny's glasses - when she can't find them, they don't exist
>>>
>>> The question is what is the difference between a possibly existing object
>>> and a "really" existing object? The fact that you don't see something
>>> doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
>>
>> That you can put it's name in a sentence doesn't mean it does exist either.
>> Or even that it's (nomologically) possible.
>>
>> I am not saying that something exists. I am not even saying that something
>> is possible (identical to itself). I am just saying that if something is
>> possible then it exists, because I don't see a difference between possible
>> and "real" existence.
>
> Then you've either (1) changed the meaning of "real" existence (2) changed
> the meaning of possible or (3) gone mad.

Actual existence can be seen indexically. It is a possible world viewed from
that world. This allows a treatment with modal logics (mainly invented to solve
that “relative existence” problem. Then with Mechanism, the modal logics are
imposed by incompleteness, and we get the 8 different sorts of phenomenological
existence, build from the first-order-logical notion of existence from
arithmetic. What really exist are the numbers, 0, s0, ss0, sssO, … The only
laws are addition and multiplication. All the rest belong to the number
“imagination” defined by their arithmetical relation with (infinite in some
case) universal numbers.
(You don’t need to postulate 0, nor s, as they can be defined from only + and x
(exercise)).

Bruno