On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 12:44 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/21/2022 4:38 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 11:35 AM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> But frequencies are how we test probabilistic theories.
>>

> Testing is not a theoretical grounding of the theory.
>

> It's not the axiomatic ground of Kolmogorov's theory.  But so what?  We
> tested Euclid's theory of geometry by making measurements which weren't in
> his axioms.  That doesn't mean Euclid's wasn't a good theory of geometry.
> I can see Deutsch crossing off Pythagora's theorem saying, "No matter how
> precise our instruments they only yield rational quantities!"  Physics is
> not mathematics and it's never going to have data to infinitely many
> decimal places.  That frequencies only yield rational number approximations
> to Born rule predictions doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

What is a probability? We can't define it as a limiting frequency, since
repeats of a sequence of measurements of a spin are going to give a range
of answers for the frequency of spin-up, and this sequence converges to
some limit only in probability. That is then circular -- probability is
defined in terms of probability.

Perhaps 'probability' is a primitive concept -- not definable in terms of
anything physical. Nevertheless, like language, it is essential for our
understanding of our experience of the world.

Bruce