On Sat, Jun 24, 2023 at 5:45 PM 'spudboy...@aol.com' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> PHILOSOPHER V NEUROSCIENTIST. 1-0.

> https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02120-8

I'm not surprised that philosopher David Chalmers won the bet, but I am
surprised that Neuroscientist Christof Koch would make such a bet. Many
brilliant people have devoted their life to it but fundamental
consciousness research has achieved precisely nothing since the time of
Socrates, so what could've made Koch or any scientist conclude that we'd
have an empirically provable consciousness theory in 25 years? Recent
events have demonstrated that we have largely solved the intelligence
problem but consciousness is another matter entirely because there's no way
to test for it without making a lot of unprovable assumptions. That's not
to say I'm a fan of Chalmers, I'm not.

Chalmers is most famous for insisting  there is an easy and a hard
consciousness problem, the easy problem is explaining how the brain works
and produces intelligent behavior, and the hard problem is explaining how
those physical processes produce consciousness. But Chalmers is also a
great advocate of panpsychism, the idea that consciousness is not an all or
nothing thing and that everything, even a simple electron, has a nonzero
amount of consciousness; that's not too different from my view that
consciousness is the way data feels when it is being processed
intelligently and is the brute fact that terminates a very long chain of
"why" questions. So if panpsychism is even close to being the truth then
the "hard" problem was solved long ago, but only very recently have we
begun to see the answer to the "easy" problem. Chalmers got the labels
wrong, he should've switched them.

ccs