On 11/19/2023 10:09 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Sat, Nov 18, 2023 at 8:25 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

    //
    /> A good letter to Brandes, but I think you use Schroedinger's
    cat to much.  If one imagines a clock attached to the poison vial,
    then it's clear that on opening the box you will see an alive or
    dead cat and a running clock or one that marks the exact time in
    the past that the cat was killed. /

The entire purpose of a thought experiment is to help you understand something, if you replace the radioactive decay of an atom, which according to quantum mechanics is supposed to be random, an event without a cause, with a mechanical clock then I don't see how your modification of Schrodinger's cat helps anybody understand anything.
I didn't replace the atom.  I connected a clock to the vial so there's a record or when it is broken.

    /> So decoherence theory has answered the problem of why we don't
    see superpositions of alive and dead cats. /

Decoherence theoryis fine but it can't resolve  Schrodinger's cat paradox, at least not to my satisfaction.

    /> I notice that you never entertain QBism and seem to dismiss it
    as "just not an intuitively satisfying theory;/

QBismcertainly works, but I dismiss it because it's just "shut up and calculate" with a different name.

When calculate the impact of two boxcars do you refuse to use the concept of inertia becasue there's no storybook about where it comes from?  Familiarity breeds the illusion of understanding.

Brent

John K Clark    See what's on my new list at Extropolis <https://groups.google.com/g/extropolis>
wdn

    iws

        On Sat, Nov 18, 2023, 6:58 AM John Clark