> style. patch.shtml talks about 8-space-tabs

Just some nitpicking here: I hate it when people say loosely that tabs
correspond to 8 spaces (or four, or whatever). A TAB character indents
to the next multiple of the tab width. The tab width is a certain
number of columns. Exactly how many spaces that then corresponds to
obviously depends on what the current column before the tab is.

I.e., for the traditional (and I mean *really* traditional) eight
column tab width, if a line has:

abc<TAB>def

*that* TAB character corresponds to *five* spaces. Not eight.

--tml