On Fri, 2012-12-14 at 04:54 +0100, Sasa Ostrouska wrote:
> I have about 5Gb of e-mails on my laptop which I use for work, and it
> is still on evolution 2.26.3.
> I would like to migrate now this stuff to evolution 3.6.x
>
> What is the best way to do that ?

Hi Sasa,

While Evolution does try to automatically migrate data when necessary
after upgrading, this is intended more for incremental upgrades, say
from 3.4 to 3.6.

Automatic data migration becomes less tested and therefore more risky
the more versions you skip.  Going from 2.26 to 3.6 is a huge leap!

I recommend breaking the upgrade into at least two steps, particularly
2.26 -> 3.0 -> 3.6.

Evolution 3.0 was the first version to convert your local mail from mbox
format to Maildir format.  Do that first, and once you verify your local
mail is in tact, proceed to 3.6.

Evolution 3.6 was the first version to convert your account info from
GConf entries to plaintext data files.  Account info is now stored in
~/.config/evolution/sources where it's much easier to backup and copy.
The contents of this directory determine whether Evolution runs the
account wizard on startup.

Matthew Barnes