On Sat, 2012-12-15 at 17:15 -0500, Matthew Barnes wrote:

> > But even if we conclude that the more specific fetch is worthwhile, I'm
> > still not convinced that a separate UI for *choosing* those headers is
> > at all sane. If the user sets up filters which *look* at a given header,
> > then we damn well ought to fetch that header automatically. The user
> > shouldn't be forced to go and find a separate plugin to make their
> > filter actually work. Or do I misunderstand how this works?
>
> No you're right, I think that's the sole purpose of the "Custom Headers"
> section.

Note that there's a difference between filters which apply to new
messages (and hence should be able to operate on the currently-relevant
set of headers), and searches which apply to *old* messages too —
messages which may have been downloaded before the user ever *asked* us
to search on their X-Esoteric-Foo: header.

But that's why the IMAP SEARCH command exists... we should make better
use of it.

--
dwmw2