What I'd really love to have is the ability to select multiple messages
(using CTRL-click etc.) and then choose "reply" and have it create a new
message replying to the set of people the original message was addressed
to (removing duplicates), and including quoted copies of all the
selected message.  And including the proper References header.

Alternatively to that, even better would be to have the "paste
quotation" menu item include the proper attribute line before the
quote... and add the quoted message ID to the References header as well.
This seems hard, but maybe not depending on what info you can send along
with the select request.

I'm constantly trying to reply to multiple messages in a single message
and it is kind of a pain right now.

However I'm not sure this is a GSOC-level project.