>From what you say, it really sounds like what you want to do is use
ETable.  Try View->Current View->Phone List and see if you don't think
that might make a better interface.

I'm not sure if this level of code is a great idea for a beginning
programmer though.  Hmm.  I'm still working on documentation for
ETable.  It's documented in the code for the most part, but I'm not sure
how to build the code from there.

If you try, just come to me with any questions.  I'm totally willing to
answer any questions about ETable.  It will especially help me to make
the documentation stronger.

If you don't think that's as good an interface, I can answer questions
about the minicard view, but that's even less documented.  I'm totally
willing to help you understand the code in evolution so you can reuse
it.

Good luck,
  Chris