Thanks for the input. I think progress was made but not total success.
If I put in "distinguished name" as the type but still use email address
(aka [EMAIL PROTECTED]) as the info then I get the usual prompt for
password. I input the password, it takes and does NOT do the usual of
prompt again (like invaid user; please give good data) like it has been.
I click on various "letters" to see if I get a listing of names with no
response. I changed the Search Base to all available options with no
change on name display. Of course no output in /var/log/messages. Is
their any source for getting log messages or evolution start parameters
for debuging such an issue?

Thanks

--
Call if you have any questions.