Ok. I may be makeing some progress here. Once I fixed a few clarical
errors I can now use my email in conjunction with the setting being
"Distinguished Name" and I get prompted for password. Once supplied it
stoped asking. I then did some searching and came across the posting
about the display of LDAP not being "browsable" and so you have to
double-click and wait for a refresh. I do this and I get back some funky
entries:

Name Begins with=>
Name: DisplaySpecifiers
Name: Exteneded-Rights
Name: ForestUpdates
Name: Physical Locations
Name: LostandFound
Name: Partitions
Name: Well Known Security Principles
Name: Services
Name: Sites

So I thought maybe it was just looking into the wrong container (OU) for
the user account base. I tried variations on changing the "Search Base"
settings to append variations of DC.= or OU,= but that just breaks what
little I can view of AD. I then build a W2K server and it has a very
flat structure of acme.local with one added user being [EMAIL PROTECTED]
in the "Users" folder (default location for AD accounts) but this is NOT
an OU. I tried setting "Search Base" to be OU=Users,DC=acme,DC=com but
the same outcome. Any other thoughts?