Also, this website covers some free *nix ticketing systems.  The first one,
called RT, says, "RT is well integrated with email functionality,
supporting auto-responses, attachments, and complete customization and
rules. Many end-users actually might only interface with RT via email.
Emails can be logged as correspondence for tickets"

I've never used any of them, but it's probably worth a shot to check out.

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/7125/1