That's a good question.  There is an API gateway running on the Novell
server. With regard to the Groupwise SMTP agent, (Gateway to Internet
Mail) I would have initially assumed that once the directories had been
replicated, I would be able to use Novell box (not the case).

The API gateway loaded on the novell server facilitates DirSync with
Exchange and facilitates messaging between the two systems.  As for
sending SMTP mail from Exchange(different address space) out the Novell
Groupwise internet Agent Gateway, I have accomplished this.  The problem
is return mail.  The mail when replied to does not get routed back to the
Exchange server.

I may have to set up rules on the novell environment for this domain.  The
documentation from MS is decent, zero support from Novell on this process
and of course they have thier own connector that resides on the Novell
server that has a giant security hole.

I'm dying for better documentation or if someone has done this before.