Q197723 describes general mail flow.
Q198902 tells how to bring the gwrouter up in console mode [for the brave
at heart]
Q201165 Tells how to set up the connector.

I'm guessing that the SMTP GW is sending in the wrong format.  Exch MTA
would then toss it and NDR.

Q222550 Might pertain to your problem.  Novell TID 10056575 basicly
rehashes the same information.  You might want to check out the Novell
site, makes for a few chuckles reading light titles like "QUESTION: Can MS
Exchange users be migrated to GroupWise"... Never would have guessed the
Red Menace from Utah had a sense of humor.

John Fullbright
MOSMWNMTK