From: SMREKAR, JACK [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 07 September 2001 11:20
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Authentication

We are having problems with people being able to open there Outlook
application without being asked for a user name, password, and domain.  Also
even after they have supplied the correct information it comes back and asks
for the password again and again and again.  you have to cancel out of it
and then Outlook closes.  We do run profile maker. Also one of the servers
had to be rebuilt for software problems.  So what we did was move the mail
boxes over to another server then rebuilt the other server and started to
move some mailboxes back.  Even when the mailboxes were on the single server
we had problems.  But from the small amount of tracking we were doing, it
appears that the people that are having problems are the ones that were on
the server that we rebuilt.

Servers are
Rebuilt server  upgraded from NT 4 sp4 to Win 2K sp1 running exchange 5.5
sp3
Dual 200mhz with 1 gig of ram and about 36 gigs of hard drive space

Other server
Upgraded Win NT 4.0 sp 4 to Win 2K sp1 running Exchange 5.5 sp3
Dual 450 mhz over 1 gig of ram and 30 gig of hard drive space.

Both were Backup Domain Controllers under NT 4. I did not promote either to
a DC under Win 2Kuntil this morning and then it was the second one that was
not rebuilt.
Also we were/are having DNS issues that are hopefully fixed by now.

Questions
1.      when the user gets the box that asks for user name, password and
domain, what program is asking for that Authentication is it Win 2K or
Exchange
2.      will upgrading the 2nd server to a DC take care of the problem
3.      will a ADC connector help to fix the problem. I thought you only
needed ADC if you have Exchange 2000 in a Exchange 5.5 environment

anything else would be helpful.

TIA

Jack Smrekar
Appleton Area School District

are addressed.
Sony cannot accept liability for statements made which are clearly
the sender's own and not made on behalf of Sony.
(01)