Hi all, I need a bit of help!

We've recently added an IMS connector to one of our servers and configured
it for Incoming only.  An SMTP relay server then pokes mail through port 25
to pass to exchange mail boxes.  This all works ok and was created soley to
receive mail from a new e-banking network.

The problem is that outgoing SMTP addressed mail should NOT go to the IMS,
since it should use our x400 backbone. This is because there is no Internet
connection available for the connector yet.
Over the last week or so, users have started complaining that Internet mail
is not getting out.
Tracking specific messages show that the mail appears to hit the IMS.  Since
it has no Internet connection it cannot go anywhere.  However, other
messages successfully hit the X400 and get out to the Internet as planned.

My questions are thus:
I have enabled logging on the IMS, but where do they get stored?  Event logs
have nothing.  Can the tracking.logs be interpreted by an application to
make them easier to understand?
Why would any mail hit the IMs at all if it is configured  for Inbound only?
Under the Address Space Tab, we set the cost to 100 and the scope to
Location.  I just read about troubleshooting outgoing mail, and it mentioned
that if Address is too restrictive it will play a part.  It suggests setting
t to *.  * is the default and is what ours was.  Thinking this might be a
key, I have set it to a fictitious domain of .nowhereatall.  My thinking is
that any mail NOT destined for .nowhereatall will automatically be routed
via  x400 and not IMS.  Does this sound correct?
What do the Delivery Restrictions do/apply to?  I could accept mail from
no-one, but would this affect the incoming from e-banking?

If anyone has any ideas, please advise.  We're running Exchange 5.5
(Enterprise) SP3 on NT4 SP5

cheers
Dave

De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht kan vertrouwelijk zijn en
is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht
onterecht ontvangt wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken en
de afzender direct te informeren door het bericht te retourneren.
The information contained in this message may be confidential
and is intended to be exclusively for the addressee. Should you
receive this message unintentionally, please do not use the contents
herein and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail.