This is part of a bigger question, and I'm not sure if I agree with the
means behind it but I'll ask anyway.

Recently my IT manager and some of the other guys on the team have taken a
deeper interest in AV, almost to the point of hiring a guy that does AV and
only AV.  They are also talking about having a 2nd AV in the building, say
both Symantec(we currently use) and Mcafee or whatever.  They seem to think
between having 2 products would greater increase the ability to detect virus
threats, whereas I feel that by the time one of these systems detects it it
most likely has already infiltrated and done the damage.

They then asked me about running 2 AV's on the Exchange server.  With all
the blocking I do I would think a 2nd product would not help much, not to
mention the overhead and incompatibility issues a 2nd AV would cause on the
Exchange server.  I recommended they look at a IDS system or something for
the firewall.

Thoughts?

e-