Exchange is quite capable of handling the load you're giving it. I have run
similar loads on similar (or lesser) hardware without the issues you're
describing.

Based on the description of the symptoms you're seeing, I strongly suggest
you revisit the switch/NIC settings - maybe even force both to 100/Half.

Roger D. Seielstad - MCSE MCT
Senior Systems Administrator
Peregrine Systems
Atlanta, GA